Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dear Jane

My sister and I are making a Dear Jane quilt together, actually two identical Dear Jane quilts. But first let me tell you what a Dear Jane quilt is if you don't already know. It is a quilt that was made by a woman named Jane A. Stickle in 1863. The blocks were all drafted by Brenda Papadakis and put into a book called Dear Jane. Now quilters all over the world recreate this quilt. You can read more about it here.


So like I said, my sister and I are making two identical Dear Jane quilts. We split the 169 blocks up and every time I make a block, I make two. One for my quilt and one for hers. (and of course she does the same) So in the end we will each have a Dear Jane quilt we both made. Here is what our quilt looks like so far.



Wednesday is Dear Jane day. It gets us working on the quilt every week. A quilt this involved can be overwhelming but we just take it one block at a time. So here is what I got done today.
This first set of blocks is L-5 and the block is called Chattanooga Charlie.


This blue set of blocks is K-1, Crooked Creek.

All the blocks are only 4 1/2" and have a letter and number that tells where they are on the grid of the quilt. And they also have names that Brenda gave them.

Hopefully I will be posting every Wednesday or Thursday to show our Dear Jane progress!

2 comments:

dakotaboots (lou) said...

I sent the link for this to Ada and Dewey. I think they'd like to watch your progress. Blog looks good...and you make the opening shot yourself didn't you? I recognize the block and the fabric. Nice job! Will you give me lessons?

julieQ said...

Wow, you have a lot done! Looking wonderful, and I hope to get right in there and make some tracks too. Thank you for sending me some encouragement.

Related Posts with Thumbnails