Friday, May 30, 2008

Tutorial: Nine Patches

I learned a different way of making nine patches from my friend, Nan, while I was at my retreat. It is a really fun way and I think this is how I will be doing them from now on. They seem to be more accurate and maybe even faster!

Ok, so start with two 4 1/2" squares. One light and one dark. (you will be making two nine patch blocks at the same time)

Put them right sides together and stitch a 1/4" seam on opposite sides of the squares. (no, I don't usually sew with bright orange thread. I just used it so you could see the stitches)
Now your going to cut your square into three equal pieces. Each piece should measure 1 1/2". (make sure your cuts are parallel with your stitches)
Take the two sides that are sewn and press the seams towards the dark fabric. Then lay your strips out like this.

Now sew your third strip to the other two. Make sure you are sewing a light, dark, light block and a dark, light, dark block. This is what your two blocks should look like so far. Right now you have two rail fence blocks but we are going to keep going so we can have two nine patches.

Put your blocks right sides together making sure the strips are going the same way. Here is where the pay off comes for pressing your seams towards the dark fabric. You can fit those seams together like a puzzle. Now stitch your 1/4" seam on opposite sides of the block.
Just like before, you are going to cut your block in three equal parts, 1 1/2" each.Press your seams. Now your ready for the last step. Aren't you excited!
Sew that last strip onto your block with a 1/4" seam. Then press.

Ta-Da!! Two cute little nine patches that will measure 3 1/2". (3" finished)

Here's a view of the back of the blocks.


This is a great way to use up your scrap fabric. There are so many cute quilt designs you can make with nine patches. And you can use this method for any size nine patch you like. Let me know if you try this method and what you think of it.

21 comments:

Tina said...

Awesome! I am definitely going to try that. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Sandy (the quilter) said...

Hi T --

You did such a great job on this. Love the pictures. I've got you on my list of blogs in Bloglines.

Hugs --

Sandy (from retreat)

Bea said...

Thanks for your tut! I love 9-patches and this should be a short way to sew... I´ll try it. But not tody ... I need some days for my family! :-)))
Bea, Germany

We Six Nasons said...

I just discovered your blog and I love this technique for making nine-patches. I am going to have to try them, soon...

Conner Posse said...

my goodness, this is fun!! love the pics and everything! i will have to refer back to your blogging tutorials, in the future...

Johnna said...

that's super cool.

Elaine is here with me. She wanted to know why your blog was named after Tasty Little Crackers. Then we started brainstorming all the TLC acronyms we know. Like "Tender Loving Care," which is the first one I thought of, and the cable channel.

FabricMom said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

jovaliquilts said...

Just followed a link to this tutorial from Mishka's Quilting Gallery. What a great way to do nine patches! Thanks for sharing this.

jenclair said...

I've had a lovely visit here and really appreciate this tutorial as I've been thinking of doing a 9 patch with some scraps. However, I must also mention how much I enjoyed looking at All of your beautiful quilts!

Anonymous said...

suberb

Kim said...

That is just too clever!! Thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial. I will definitely be using this method from now on.

Diane H said...

Just wanted to say thank you for a great tutorial, appreciate it.

Dee said...

That's really a great way to do it. Quilter's are always coming up with new ideas. Thanks for the tutorial and using the orange thread so we could see it clearly!

Dedra said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I'm using it for my 9 patches and a variation of it for my 36 patches. Love it!

Mimi said...

I love your step by step tutorial, it is awesome and I will definitely try this out!! Thanks for sharing!!

scoutermom said...

I love the quilt you have on your home page at the top with your web site name. Do you have a pattern for it and will you send it to me?
kathit@ida.net

elenor said...

clever way to make 9-patches! thanks for your tut, I was already looking for one and found it now via pinterest. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

What is the quilt pattern at the top of this page, under your TLC logo called? It is beautiful! Also, your tutorial is great. Thank you!

Angie said...

Totally awesome---I will be making these. Thanks so much for the tutorial. :)

Meadowcreek said...

What a great way to do nine patches! Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

Here is my blog post ... acheter tweet

Related Posts with Thumbnails