Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wheat-tastic!

Yesterday I made homemade bread for the first time. I have decided that store bought bread has too much junk in it and I can control what my family eats better if I make it myself. I was surprised at how enjoyable the process was. The kneading, the rising, the kneading some more. I felt like Caroline Ingalls. (can you tell I have been watching Little House on the Prairie lately) I shaped the loaves and set them in the bread pans to rise some more and then baked them. The house smelled wonderful. They came out beautiful!



Not bad for my first time without a bread machine! (Little hint here...take off your rings. It didn't occur to me until I was kneading like crazy and my wedding ring was covered in sticky bread dough.) So if you want to try making this bread, here is the recipe:


Honey Oatmeal Bread

1 cup rolled oats
2 cups boiling water
2 pkgs dry yeast
1/3 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup powdered milk
6-6 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Place rolled oats in large bowl and add boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes. In small bowl dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add the yeast to the rolled oats and let stand 5 minutes. Add honey and oil and then dry ingredients. Knead well for 5 minutes. Let rise until double in bulk. Knead again. Shape into two loaves and place in well greased pans. Let rise 10 minutes. Bake @ 325 degrees for 1 hour.


I ordered an electric wheat grinder today. I think it will make bread making a lot easier. My arms are getting pretty tired from grinding the wheat by hand. I am excited to try more bread recipies and as I do I will post about the good ones.

I was on quite a kick yesterday and made pizza for dinner with a homemade wheat crust. It turned out so good!


Wheat Pizza Crust

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp dry yeast
1 cup comfortably hot water (120 degrees to 130 degrees)
2 tbsp oil
Johnny's Garlic Spread
italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix 2 cups flour and yeast in large bowl. Add water and oil; mix well. Cover bowl and let sponge 10 minutes. Add remaining flour, Johnny's Garlic Spread, and italian seasoning as needed. Knead for 5 minutes. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Use a pizza roller to roll out dough on a lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Bake the crust 5-7 minutes then top with sauce cheese and desired toppings and then bake for 12 minutes.


So go make something with wheat today!






1 comments:

needles said...

Your bread looks so good! I'm so glad your first experience turned out so well. I can't wait to try the recipe.
-Needles

Who is Johnny? And why are you spreading garlic on him?
-Dad

It's wonderful to see you making bread! It would have been nice to be there when it came out of the oven and get to taste it!
-Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails