Monday, June 23, 2008

Sashiko

Last month we had a guest speaker at my quilt guild. Her name is Becky Scellato and she is the owner of a local quilt shop that specializes in Oriental print fabrics and Sashiko. It was a wonderful lecture all about Sashiko, a traditional Japanese form of stitching. Before the lecture started we could buy a kit for $5 and work on it while she talked. It was a pincushion that had a pattern printed on it so we could try Sashiko. As we stitched she showed us vintage Japanese garments that had Sashiko stitching and gorgeous quilts with Sashiko done in some of the blocks. While the kids worked in their summer workbooks today, I finished my Sashiko pin cushion.




I enjoyed working on that pin cushion so much that I signed up for the Sashiko Block of the Month quilt. I picked up my first block last week all geared up to do some more hand stitching. I found out that not every block will be Sashiko and my first block is just a square in a square out of beautiful Oriental printed fabric. Easy enough! I can't wait until I get a block where I get to do the Sashiko again!




I made the kids lunch today (they usually make their own).



I just love these trays that we got from Target a while ago. The kids love eating from them and they have so much fun filling each section with healthy food. They were really excited to get their "surprise" lunch and even more when they saw what I put together for them!

7 comments:

Tina said...

I love that Sashiko! I've never tried it, but I want to. I wish I could do the block of the month too! K has one of those trays in purple. She loves it too!

Dianna said...

Thanks for sharing. That sashiko is beautiful. Fun that the kids can have fun lunches. I always liked to make things fun too.

Rebekah C said...

this pincushion is so cool! I've got a sashiko book sitting on my shelf, now I just need some thread, fabric and a needle. This is such a cool technique!

Jacquie said...

I bought a Japanese quilt book on vacation and it has a section on Sashiko. Thanks for showing yours. It's so intriguing. It on my list of things to try.

Inger Lise in Norway said...

Your pincushion look great. I havent tried this technique but it looks nice

We Six Nasons said...

What a fun project! I have never heard of Sashiko before, I will have to look it up. You are also a fun mom, your kids are very blessed. I like to take my kids to quilt stores too, but they have never had the opportunity to participate. Too bad they don't have shop hops here in Florida.

diane said...

Your pincushion is chic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails