Sunday, July 27, 2008

Amy Butler is a...

...genius!! I have loved Amy Butler's work for a long time but up until now hadn't made any of her patterns or bought any of her fabric. I know. Shocking! Well I was picking up one of my block of the month last week at my LQS and they had a cute bag hanging in the shop. I have had the perfect fabric to use to make a knitting bag for a while and have been on the hunt for a great pattern (secretly hoping it would be an Amy Butler). I knew by looking at the bag that it would be perfect to carry my hand knit socks in progress and it could hang off my wrist while knitting. When I found the pattern I was delighted to find out that it was an Amy Butler pattern called Stash and Dash Bags. So, of course, I bought it!

I came home, pulled out my fabric and got to work. My friend Lou 'the enabler' (love ya Lou) gave this fabric to me and I thought it was so fun. The fabric line is called Knitmare on Elm Street.




So now that I had tried out the pattern which by the way is the whole reason for calling Amy Butler a genius. I made another bag out of Amy Butler fabric that I had bought when I bought the pattern. The pink stripe is not an Amy Butler just something that matched from my stash.







The pattern for these Stash and Dash Bags is so well written. I thought the instructions were so clear and easy to follow. The bags are so fun to make and I am not stopping there. Here is some more fabric I bought that day to make a bag...

The stripe isn't an Amy Butler but the other one is. Isn't it so pretty? The pattern has three sizes of bags to make and I have been making the largest one, but I am going to make the other two sizes too. I am excited about the idea of making these as gifts. And maybe in the future I will have a giveaway with one of these bags full of goodies. What do you think?

17 comments:

Tina said...

love it!

jovaliquilts said...

I love how you used the pirate fabric! I have them both. I've used a little but have plenty left for some fun.

Randi said...

Cute bags!

Jacquie said...

knitmare on elm street is the cutest fabric and the bag looks so great!

jillytacy said...

The pirate bag is adorable! I love it. The fabric is so cute! I've never been a fan of skulls in the past, but who knew that pink pirates & skulls could be so cute! I'm becoming a fan.

Purple and Paisley said...

don't see your email address anywhere, but want to thank you for visiting my blog! i'm glad you enjoyed my guest blogger's crossword! it's my dad and he's fun...off to vegas, but wanted to pop in to thank you again...i love your blog, too! =)

Simply This That and the Other... said...

Finally having a chance to get to know the TLC that's been leaving wonderful comments on my Blog. Not sure how you found me, but so glad you did. I LoVe your blog. Could you email me? I have a question for ya. My email addy is on my profile on my blog. ;o) xxoo ~jodi

Sonnja said...

Lovely bags!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
from the Netherlands

Linda said...

Oh my goodness those are Fab!!! Love the pattern and love the "Knitmare on Elm street"!!!!! Wow! I don't have a LQS where I currently reside, but would love to find that pattern. Can you share the name so I can see if I can find it somewhere on-line? Nice!

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh I love the Knitmare fabric and the bag is darling. I also knit socks and need something I can take with me. Love it, Love it.

ChristyH said...

I love the quilt at the top of the blog. I used to quilt...before knitting. You do some very nice work.

Lou said...

Did you get the pattern @ Pacific Fabrics? Or Shibori? I think I need to get a pattern for myself. They would make cool gifts - 2 sisters and a sister-in-law...

Rebekah said...

cute bags! I've been wanting to make an Amy Butler bag for a long time, but have never bought any of her patterns. This is so lovely, especially the fabric combo!

Daisy Jayne said...

I think I need to get a pattern for myself. I love bags hope I can find the pattern somewhere in Australia Love the pirate fabric

Daisy Jayne said...

I think I need to get a pattern for myself. Hope I find one somewhere in Australia.

jmbmommy said...

cute, cute bags! I had heard from a few people that A.B. patterns were hard to understand, so I just never tried (I do sometimes have issues with diraction following!) But you have encouraged me to try...we will see! Thanks!

susan said...

i keep seeing that pattern and i havent bought it yet, but maybe now i will. the bags turned out so cute

Related Posts with Thumbnails