Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kool-Aid Dyeing

I am a knitter. I am not a spinner or a dyer. I just have never had a desire to spin or dye yarn. I mean, I am already a quilter and a knitter and I think that's enough. I don't think I have time (or money) for another hobby! Until...


I got a great goody bag when I bought my ticket to Stitch 'n Pitch from a local shop. It was filled with some great stuff. A t-shirt, hat, and water bottle, two skeins of yarn, a pair of Knit Lite needles, and a couple of Louisa Harding books! Well one of the yarns is a gorgeous yarn by Cascade Yarns called Lana D'oro and it is 50% superfine alpaca and 50% wool. It is so soft! But the color is awful. It is a light yellow with a green tinge to it. It looks sickly. (the picture does not portray how yellow/green this yarn is)



So my first thought was to over dye it. But I have no desire to get into dyeing because it requires that first investment. I had heard of dyeing with Kool-Aid and thought that would be easy, fun, and I could just use the pot and tongs that I already use in the kitchen. So I went in search of Kool-Aid hoping to find a blue but couldn't find that color so I went with purple. I googled Kool-Aid dyeing and found this tutorial. (isn't the Internet awesome!)



First I washed the yarn lightly in some mild soap and let it soak while I got the Kool-Aid ready in the pot. The tutorial says you use one packet for each ounce of yarn. Mine is only 1.75 ounces but I used three packets because I wanted a deep purple. I transferred the yarn over to the pot, added a little more water, and turned on the heat. I can't tell you how weird it was to be cooking my yarn!







Right before it started to boil I turned the heat off and put a lid on the pot. It sat for 30 minutes and I stirred it a few times during that time.





When the time was up I checked the water and it was practically clear. It was amazing that the yarn had soaked it all up. I then took it out and rinsed it in equally hot water so that the yarn wouldn't felt. And I was sure to use gloves because I really wasn't sure if I would get purple hands and I didn't want to risk it!

This picture of it in my hand is the most accurate portrayal of the color. Isn't it gorgeous!


I couldn't believe how dark and gorgeous the color turned out to be! I hung it outside to dry while secretly worrying that what happened to to the Yarn Harlot would happen to me. Squirrels! But I hung it high and I think it will be safe.

It sure smells delicious!

12 comments:

Dianna said...

You are just too smart. What a wonderful way to change a boring yarn into a beautiful yarn. Of course I love purple. Will the dye be permanent now?

ChristyH said...

I think it looks beautiful. Nice job.

Niki said...

Beautiful. Looks easy enough. I feel the same way, I quilt, crochet, and embroider, do I need another hobby!? Aww, why not! lol

We Six Nasons said...

Wow, that is so cool. I feel the same way about starting a new hobby, but, I may have to atleast try that! Thanks for sharing the whole process.

Lou the enabler said...

What's cool about this is that there will be little variations in the color, so your knitting will have more texture. YOu'll be hooked!

Quilting Journey said...

Fabulous tutorial! I've heard of kool aid dyeing of fabric but yarn would be a good place to start...easier to swish around I would think!I spent the 70's and 80's Rit dyeing every thing in sight. Now, I wish I hadn't donated my packs of kool aid to the food bank after the kids left home! I've also heard of dyeing with jello. But believe it or not, that was to make streaks in your hair. Love how your yarn turned out! Good job! You've inspired me to try ;)

Holly Elam said...

What a great idea. I wonder if it would work with muslin fabric.

sarahmurray said...

I have never heard of kool aid dying. It looks so fun! This may have to be a project I'll have to try. Can't wait to see what you make with it! x

mrmonkeysuit said...

it looks delicious too. I can't wait to see what you knit with it.

Conner Posse said...

right now i am craving purple kool aid yarn...

Gina said...

What a great idea, and a fabulous colour

Love and hugs gina xxx

susan said...

oh it turned out lovely!
i think koolaid dyeing is so much fun

Related Posts with Thumbnails