Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First, Worst, & Best

First
On my birthday 11 years ago (give or take a year because I am not sure) my
sister sent me a quilt kit that she had made me. It was for a small wall quilt with appliqued hearts. She had cut out just about everything so it was as simple as possible for me to put it together. It was my first quilt and after that I was hooked!



It is very much a first quilt! The binding is pretty funny but I did hand sew it which I am pretty impressed by when I look back.


The only quilting I did on this quilt is the hand quilting around the hearts. That's it. I think I burned out just doing that.


So if I ever try to wash it (and I never have), I will probably want to finish the quilting on it. And now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't wash it because the hearts are fused on and not secured with stitching. It is a cute pattern and it was really fun to do. I will always be grateful to my sister for introducing me to quilting.



Worst
A few years after I had made my first quilt, I decided to make a quilt for my daughter. I chose some blocks I had made shortly after I finished my first quilt. I had used a St. Louis Star pattern that I had gotten out of a beginners quilting book. I figured since I already had the blocks it would work up really quickly and it did. I wanted it to fit on a twin bed so I made it exactly the size of the top and made a ruffle to hang down and cover the sides of the mattress. I tied the quilt using red ribbons and then tied them into bows. I used a thick polyester batting that has since pulled away from the sides and bunched up in places.



One day a friend was visiting and I proudly showed her the quilt. She says, "Those look like swastikas". I was so horrified that I grabbed the quilt and stuffed it in the bottom of a trunk.



And there it stayed until my daughter found it years later and wanted it on her bed. Ugh! I can laugh about it now but it took me a long time to see any humor in it. Now I think it is pretty funny that I unknowingly made a "swastika" quilt for my blond haired, blue eyed, baby girl. Sure, they are backwards swastikas but it is still just so wrong!!



Best
I think I would have to say my best quilt so far is my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt. For no other reason than the fact that C&T Publishing picked it to be in Jennifer Chiaverini's new pattern book and I could not be more excited about it!




Want to play along? Post your first, worst, and best quilts on your blog! Don't forget to leave me a comment when you do so that I can come see!

16 comments:

Tina said...

Love your stories! I can't believe you made a "swastikas quilt." ha ha! I'll let you know when I post my first, worst and best!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Love the idea of showing progress. Its so amazing isn't it. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find to play too. Its kind of embarassing but fun to show that anyone can progress if we can. I dragged my 13 year old son with me to our local quilt show a couple weeks ago and there was a sampler quilt with a similar block that looked swastika like. He was horrified and kept pointing at it not understanding this was a conventional block pre wwII. During WWII women took those quilts with the swastika like blocks and hid them away. You can find them at flea markets and such now in great shape because they were hidden away.

Jacquie said...

i know i shouldn't be laughing at the swastika quilt, but that is sooo funny. enjoyed your trip thru time!

mrmonkeysuit said...

I have so many worsts, I am not sure which one to choose, but I think I'll give this a go :)

We Six Nasons said...

I had a similar experience when I made a table runner for my mom a couple of Christmas' ago. It was supposed to be a ribbon pattern which I made red. My husband told me that it looked like swastikas and I was so embarrased. I sent it anyway and my mom never said anything.

Suzanne Earley said...

hmmm, i wonder which of mine would qualify for worst. the first isn't even actually finished. lol

thanks for the stories of yours, the swastikas are pretty funny.

Kim said...

I love your blog. I was just looking at it and reading it for the past 30 minutes or so. Thanks for the comments. Like Nanette I'll have to go back and dig a bit to find the first one I made when I was 18. It might be too deep in the storage room. But there is one I made that I look at now and laugh. I made the binding all wrong and it's too funny!

Kim said...

I forgot to tell you how much I loved Sylvia's Bridal Quilt. You did a beautiful job and I enjoyed all of the pictures. Sampler's are some of my favorite quilts.

Wool Winder said...

The Bridal Sampler is gorgeous!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the bridal quilt. I'll post my first, worst and best soon. This will take a little thought.

jovaliquilts said...

It was fun to read about your quilts! Congratulations on having one of your quilts featured in JC's quilt book! Awesome!

I have seen several quilts that appear to have swastikas -- and one is on the cover of a book of quilts for kids! I know it's an ancient symbol but it's hard not to associate it with its more recent past. Guess we've lost a good design.

Conner Posse said...

hahahaaaaa.... *sigh* (that was a "friends" laugh). :o) fun blog!

Kim said...

I have a surprise for you on my blog today. Come See! You deserve it, too!

katelnorth said...

If it makes you feel any better, the swastika (both backwards and forwards) was used in Indian art and other places many many years before the Nazis adopted it... :)

Simply This and That said...

awesome post! I don't know if I have pictures of my worst. And there are a few. Most I've tossed! I'll have to see what I can come up with. ;o) p.s. we had a blast in your neck of the woods! ;o) ~jodijodi8207

Karen said...

Oh, your "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler" is beautiful! Congratulations on it being selected for the book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails