Thursday, September 25, 2008

Baby Shower Quilt Done!

I finished the Plain Spoken quilt just in time. The baby shower is today around lunch time. I finished the last stitch of hand sewing the binding late last night. I am always amazed at how many hours a hand sewn binding takes. Sure is worth it though!

I decided to just make a little tag instead of a label because I want the quilt to be reversible and quilts don't look very reversible with a big label on the back.


Quilting this quilt was a big reminder that I need more practice. I started free motion quilting twice and seam ripped both attempts. Luckily I didn't get far on either of those times before I thought my work looked horrible. The third attempt was better and I gave up on having perfect curves and loops. I think it looks a lot better as a whole instead of nit picking the small sections.

I am very happy with how it turned out in the end. I want to make another in a bigger size for me. But with as many projects as I have, that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Here is a full shot of the front...
And the back...
I am driving into downtown Seattle today to attend the baby shower at my husband's work. I am glad I get to be there when she opens it. I hope she likes it!

This weekend I am off to a quilt retreat! I hope to get lots done and have lots of pictures to share of my projects as well as all my friends' projects sometime beginning of next week! See you then!


13 comments:

Wool Winder said...

It's gorgeous!

TaraB said...

I absolutely LOVE this quilt. What beautiful colors!! I also want to hear all about your quilt retreat. I am planning one in a couple weeks and need some ideas!! HAVE FUN STITCHING...

Tina said...

love it!

Conner Posse said...

this makes me want to sew something! someone needs to have a baby so i have a reason to hit joann's - haha! turned out so cute, trisha...naturally! have oodles of fun at the shower and your retreat! i'll miss ya at the rs broadcast!

quilterpolly said...

it turned out great:) The quilt will be a big hit at the shower:

MelissaS said...

It's so pretty! Don't be so hard on yourself with your freemotion...it looks beautiful!

em's scrapbag said...

How could she not love it it's gorgeous!!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Clapping! Well done. I love it and the tag is a darling touch. Let me tell you - your free motion is good. I've been doing it for years and then once in a while and mine is certainly no better than yours. Without a stitch regulator I'm doomed to probably never getting much better. Your stitches look really even.

Tine said...

Your Plain Spoken is so beautiful!! I love the colors you chose :-)

jacquie said...

it's wonderful. i'm moving this up my list of things to do!!!

AJ said...

Beautiful! I LOVE the backing fabric.

ChristyH said...

That is very nice and I am sure she will love it.

simplysewn said...

Your quilt is so pretty! The backing and binding fabrics work so well. Maybe I'll save my pieces now to do something similar. Thanks for the link.

Related Posts with Thumbnails