Thursday, September 4, 2008

Socks to be on a Diet

One of the gifts I got from my Mom for my birthday was sock yarn. Not just any sock yarn. Koigu! Six hanks of Koigu which will make three pairs of socks. She picked out some really yummy colors. I was so excited and couldn't stop petting them.



I told my mom that I would cast on a sock with one of the colorways when I got home. I picked the one that isn't like anything else in my stash. I was so curious to see it knit up. I used a pattern that has a K2, P1 ribbing and a cable running on either side of the leg and foot. Can you see the cable on the sock?




Neither can I! Looks like this wasn't a good pattern for the yarn. I think I will frog it and start over. I am loving the yarn though. I love how it feels and it knits up really nice. The colors are so rich and gorgeous.


Remember when I started a sock at the Mariners Stitch N Pitch? Well I couldn't reveal it because it was a gift for my mom. I had hoped to finish the pair before my trip but was only able to almost finish one. I showed it to her when I was there and knit on it a little bit and she loved it. Yay!


I have built up quite a stash of sock yarn. It is even a little bit obscene. I took a picture to show you but I just can't bring myself to post it because you will think I have no control. Which up until now I haven't but that is all in the past because I am officially on a sock yarn diet! (the exclamation point is to show I have conviction) So from now on I will knit from my stash of sock yarn and the diet will go on for a long time. Let's just say I could knit from my stash for years.


P.S. Just because I am officially on a sock yarn diet doesn't mean that I won't be accepting sock yarn in gift form. Whew! Didn't want that misunderstood!

7 comments:

Gina said...

I bet you don't last long on that diet.
I love the purple/lilac yarn that your mom bought you.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Tina said...

You are too funny. K says she gets her sense of humor from you. (I guess she doesn't think her parents are funny!) I'm a little worried that you are petting your yarn.

Wool Winder said...

Now I'm curious to see your sock yarn stash. How big could it be? I have quite a bit myself.

Koigu is so soft. I love how it feels. Your mom really spoiled you!

Lou said...

try a slip stitch pattern for the Koigu (did I spell that right?). The slip stitch breaks up the color stripe and really shows off some of the hand painted /hand dyed. And they're usually pretty easy patterns. I'm doing one now that's
k1, p1, sl1, p1 for 3 rounds
k1, p1 for the 4th round. Shows off the yarn nicely.
glad you're home...I'm off now to visit MY mom for a week.

em's scrapbag said...

What beautiful colors in your yarn. Good luck with your diet. HA HA.

Randi said...

I wish I could knit! The yarns your mom got you are so pretty! Have fun playing with them!

ChristyH said...

What pattern is that for the Plum Tweed? I have some Inca Tweed that my MIL wants made into socks for her Christmas present.

LOVELY gift! I want sock yarn for my birthday, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails