Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What have I been up to?

I finally mailed out my Christmas Cottage blocks today. I know, I finished them a week ago. Why am I just sending them off now? The good reason is that I knit a small token of my appreciation for the awesome blogger in charge and the lame reason is that I kept procrastinating tearing the stabilizer off the back of the blocks. I used the stabilizer to keep the fabric from puckering when I stitched down the snow. It is a tear away one so it isn't like it is hard to pull off. But unfortunately when I don't feel like doing something, I just don't do it. Well, that is until the deadline is staring me in the face and I don't have a choice any longer. Ahh, someday I will learn not to procrastinate. Maybe I will get to working on that tomorrow...or maybe the next day...


Since I finished my blocks I haven't done much sewing. I did play around a little with some fabric and stitching but it didn't turn out so great. I need to get serious about the three swaps I have left. Two small quilts and something handmade for a Christmas swap. I think I am going to knit something for the Christmas swap. As for ALQS and DQS5, my two small quilt swaps, I have had lots of ideas but haven't settled on anything yet.


I have been reading a lot. I can really get lost in a book. And when it is a can't-put-it-down-page-turner, I let everything else in life fade into the background. I finished The Book Thief. Wow, what a beautifully written book. A very emotional ending for me. I finished Beside A Burning Sea tonight at my son's soccer practice. I really enjoyed this book. I read Beneath a Marble Sky by the same author a year ago and thought it was incredible. Beside A Burning Sea was very good but not as good as Beneath a Marble Sky. I finally joined GoodReads.com and have started to record the books I can remember reading. It is a fun way to keep track.


I have some very sweet friends that remembered my birthday and had some goodies for me. I was out of town on my birthday in August making it hard to get a hold of me. My best friend Joleen took me to lunch and gave me a book on tape, a gift card to Jamba Juice, and this...



Joleen sure knows me! And then my friend Ada from my quilt guild made me this...



I am notorious for throwing my clipped threads on the floor when I sew. This adorable pin cushion/bag is the perfect thing to keep threads from being tracked all over the house on little sock covered feet. It sits right next to my sewing machine ready to catch my clipped threads. I am reformed. Thanks Ada!


I have been knitting pretty regularly on my socks this past week. I am excited to get them finished and on my feet. Funny how one of the balls of yarn seems to be missing the light yellow that the other one has. The socks are coming out a bit different. I think it adds character.




This past weekend my husband went on a 24 hr geocaching trip with his friends. They started at 7am and cached until 7am the next day. They found 90 caches! So he climbs into bed at 7am right as I am waking up. He snuggles up and he was freezing! I didn't mind too much until he put his feet on mine! I hopped out of bed and grabbed a pair of my hand knit socks that I knit a long time ago and that are too big for me. I put them on him and told him that they are wool and will warm his feet right up. Now you have to understand that I have offered to knit him socks before and he always shrugs if off like I shouldn't waste my time. But when I put those socks on his feet and he thought they felt good and they warmed him up quickly, he was sold. How do I know? Because the next day he slipped them on again and wore them all day. I told him he could keep them and I would knit him another pair. He said he would like that. I can't believe he finally came around. Yahoo!!!

11 comments:

Gina said...

Just proves that men don't know what they want until we tell them. LOL
Mal was the same with quilts, until he wasn't feeling very well and he snuggled under one, Now he's not happy unless he's under a quilt.
Love and hugs Gina xxx

Tine said...

I love that thread-catcher-pin-cushion thing. That is something every quilter needs! LOL!

Wool Winder said...

All is takes is one time wearing hand knit socks...

We Six Nasons said...

I haven't even worn hand knit socks yet! I don't know what is keeping me from knitting some, maybe fear of failure. You have been having a lovely time, I hope that you get to read and knit and quilt some more.

Kim W said...

Hi there! Finally checking out your blog. So cute. You tucker me out with all the projects you're working on. I'm still using all my time up seeking my own sanity. Ha! Between you and Tina, I am getting more inspired to get back to quilting. It's been a LONG time. I'm going to put your blog on my list so I can keep up with you. Hope you don't mind.

MelissaS said...

Hubbies....they are funny critters. It's that Y chromosome, it makes them who they are.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Its fun when the man of the house realizes we do good things!!

Yayy and thanks! on getting your blocks off - you are a sweetie.

I always love book recommendations. Thanks for that site. A good read is so much fun.

em's scrapbag said...

No wonder you just got your cottages mailed off. You have been doing somewonderful things. I really like the thread catcher. I am like you and my floor is covered in threads. I should make myself one.

jacquie said...

i have a thread on the floor problem too. honestly, i don't think i would use it unless it were permanently attached to me.

domoshar said...

I love the new pair you are knitting. It has some added character with the missing colour.
And I know how you feel. I started a hat for myself and my men want one too although all hand work is usually referred as almost wasting time ;)/by the elder/

Candace said...

Hi- I just found your blog - really nice! I'm in the Christmas Cottage Exchange, too! I'm in one of Terri's groups - can't wait to get our exchanges back and make something fun! Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails