Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ahh, I'm quilting again


Have you noticed that I haven't done much quilting lately? I've worked on a couple swap quilts and have done the bare minimum on my block of the month commitments, but other than that I have stayed away from my sewing machine. My back has been bad and I haven't been able to quilt much so I lay in my back chair and knit. So the knitting has taken center stage but it looks like that might change thanks to some anti-inflammatory meds and regularly going for walks. I have been feeling a little better and I am able to do more.


Alexis sent me a beautiful charm pack with the cute doll swap quilt and I wanted to do something with it right away. There is somethings so freeing about whipping up a little project when you know you should be working on those long time WIPs or UFOs. It has been just what I needed to get the quilting juices flowing.


I sliced the whole charm pack up into 1 1/2" strips. I got three strips per charm square.


Threw them in a bag for some random piecing.


Then I just drew a strip from the bag at random and then started sewing them into this pretty braid...



Ok, it might not have happened exactly like that...it started out that way but when I kept pulling out strips that didn't work, I started looking into the bag for a strip that did work...until I just dumped the whole thing out for better choosing opportunity. I suck at random.




I bought a pretty fairy frost pink to go with it. I just laid the braid on the pink so you can get an idea of what it will look like. I am thinking it will be a table runner when I finish it. I will be back soon with (hopefully) a finished table runner and (definitely) a finished pair of socks!

6 comments:

Catherine said...

I love that!!! I'm always fascinated by the braided quilting I see. Love the fabrics you're using.

Candace said...

How much fun it that!! I'm never good at random, either - someday, though, I'm just gonna go for it! Glad to hear you have some new meds that are working!
cheers!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

So then do you sew a border right directly to the sides? I've never experienced braided quilting before. I like it.

Tina said...

Glad your back is feeling a bit better and that you were able to make up something so quickly with the charm pack. Random is definitely hard. Nice try though :o).

Alexis said...

I'm glad your back is feeling better and the charm pack was an inspiration! My 3 yo picked it out for you and we both like the braid- what a great & unusual use for a charm pack!

MelissaS said...

I love the braid technique. I made a baby quilt using it and a Jellyroll of Moda Soiree is waiting to be made into a braid quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails