Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring Break

I am sad that my kids' Spring Break is coming to a close. I have loved having them home this week. It was nice not going out of town but staying here and having a lazy week together. Top priority? Lots of play time and lots of fun!


We made a list of the have-to-get-dones for each day which usually included piano and 1/2 hour of reading on their own for the both of them. We set a goal to finish Peter and the Secret of Rundoon. I have been reading that to them for a while and we have been wanting to finish it and move on to a new book. We did it! On Wednesday we started The Hobbit. My oldest sister read this to me when I was about my kids age and I haven't read it since then. We are almost halfway through it and the kids are loving it, me too!


We were sad this was our last day off of school so we planned a Games Marathon.




We each took three slips of paper and wrote down a game we wanted to play on each paper. Then we folded them up and put them in a bowl. We took turns pulling slips and playing the game. We played Sorry, Rummy, Loot, Boggle, Scattergories, Scrabble, and Rummikub. We broke for lunch partway through the day. It was so much fun!



Here is our finished Scrabble board...



Not bad for an eight year old, ten year old, and thirty-something year old! We didn't play for points and helped eachother when someone was stuck.


I love that the kids are old enough to play games that don't bore me to tears. If I had to play one more round of Candyland or Chutes and Ladders (what I call the never ending games) I think I would go insane! I am glad my kids are past those.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Fun stuff! Our Spring Break is just beginning!

MelissaS said...

We just started Spring Break.

You should try Pictureka! Our family loves it.

katelnorth said...

Your games day sounds fun - I know just what you mean about kids' games - my youngest is 6, so is finally getting to the point where he can play REAL games. We really like Qwirkle (good for younger kids) and Tantrix (8 should be fine), among other games, including some of the ones you have named.

Happy Easter!

Related Posts with Thumbnails