Wednesday, May 20, 2009

An almost finish

I almost finished my first Spring To Finish for May. I realize we are over half-way through May but I have been pretty busy.







This has been a fun, creative project for me. I received this gorgeous charm pack from Alexis, my swap partner for DQS6, and got inspired to do something with it right away. I had always wanted to do a braid quilt so I started slicing up that charm pack with a braid in mind.



It was fun because I had no idea where I was going with it. After making one braid and seeing that I had so many little strips left I made a second one. By this time I was thinking that I would make a table runner and so I put the braids side by side and framed it with a soft pink Michael Miller Fairy Frost.






I noticed that it needed something more and some applique in the border seemed like the perfect thing. So I added some flowers and leaves. Love it!



It was so nice to not have a plan and to design as I went. I would take a few days or so in between each step and think about what I wanted to do next.





All I have left is the binding. I will for sure finish it before the end of May. I am taking it with me to a quilting retreat this weekend along with a lot of other projects to finish. I am looking forward to some down time!

21 comments:

Tina said...

Love it Trish! It's gorgeous, and the flowers are such a great touch! Have fun at your retreat!

Sherri said...

Just love this little quilt! The flowers are the perfect added touch!

rachel griffith said...

this is SO cute trisha!!!

em's scrapbag said...

Very fresh and fun. You did a great job!

We Six Nasons said...

That is very creative. I love how you designed it as you went along. That is one of my favorite ways to quilt too. Great Job!

Lou said...

Gorgeous. Too bad you didn't have this done before the show! Course - you could roll it up nice and put it up till the next show!

Alexis said...

Wow, great work Trisha! I love the appliqued flowers- they really make it pop. I'm glad you had so much fun with the charm pack!

The Livingston Place said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!

jovaliquilts said...

Looks great! I love that sort of design-as-you-go project, too. :)

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely table runner..........

Daisy Jayne said...

Trish the colours and flowers look great...bright.. simole and beautiful.... love it

Libby said...

This is so sweet! Perfect for springtime.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Your braids are beautiful and I just love the flowers in the two corners! Design-as-you-go sounds like a really fun way to make a quilt!

MGM

Rebekah said...

this is so cute! I love the daisies!

pat said...

What a beautiful little spring quilt! Those appliqued flowers were the perfect extra touch!

Candace said...

So very cute, Trisha! Love the flower applique! What a great use of the Fairy Frost!
Cheers!

Patsy said...

So cute!!! Love the colors and the way you put the flowers on the corners. Great job!!

peaknits said...

Wow, this is lovely! Nice work!

Mel said...

Trisha, that runner is adorable!! I'm not usually a fan of braids, but your colors and applique are so charming!

AJ said...

Love it!

simplysewn said...

This is such a pretty table runner. The applique really bring the piece together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails