Friday, May 8, 2009

Who Says Boys Can't Knit?

While my mom was visiting she taught my son to knit. He had never shown an interest before besides finger knitting which I taught him long ago. That suited him fine, making "ropes". But with Grandma here, he suddenly showed an interest in expanding his options. I took him to my stash and helped him pick out a bulky yarn. My mom and I both knit continental so that's how both my kids learned. But I was amazed at how quickly my son took to knitting.



The way he held the yarn and needles, so naturally, really surprised me.



He really didn't struggle and his scarf grew very quickly.


Fun having another knitter in the family!

My daughter loves to make jewelry. She hurries in the morning to get ready for school so she can sneak off to her room and make a necklace and earrings to match her outfit. She has made sets and given them to friends, teachers, aunts, grandma, and cousins. Did you notice there is no mom on that list. I teased her one day asking if she was ever going to make a set for me. She looked at me surprised and said that the ones she makes and keeps are for us to share. I guess she thought I already knew that.

It dawned on me one day as I was surfing Etsy and dreaming about pretty stitch markers that I had my own little jeweler right here in my house. I showed her what stitch markers looked like and asked if she thought she could make them. "No problem", she said. So we went shopping for a few essentials and in no time she made me these...


And these...



Aren't they so pretty?



I went back to the store yesterday and bought smaller jump rings and asked her to make some stitch markers for my sock knitting. I can't wait!

I am really looking forward to this weekend. My sweatheart and the kids have been having lots of "meetings" without me. I think it is going to be a good Mother's Day weekend for me! I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, too!

7 comments:

Tina said...

Fun to see that cute boy of yours knitting...and fun that you've got your own jeweler and that she has found a craft that she really enjoys.

Tina said...

PS...we need to get our knitting boys together :o)

Tine said...

How wonderful that your son shows an interest in your hobbies! What is continental knitting I wonder?! The way he is holding the needles looks the same as when I knit (but then I am European, so that would make sense. Lol).
You daugther makes beautiful jewellery too, those beads are wonderful. What a talented family!
Have a happy mothers day weekend :)

jovaliquilts said...

Gorgeous placeholders! And it's so great that your son is knitting. I've been hearing so much more lately about boys and men knitting, and why not? Why should women have all the fun? ;)

Anne Ida said...

How fun your son is getting into knitting! Looks like he's enjoying making the scarf :o)

Oh, those stitch markers are fabulous, your daughter did a great job!

Aunt Spicy said...

The stitch markers are fabulous, what an excellent idea!

Visiting from the Spring Blooms Mini Quilt Swap!

Rebekah said...

wow! That's so exciting that you have a new knitter in your house

Related Posts with Thumbnails