Wednesday, June 17, 2009

5th Grade Celebration

My first born is going into middle school next year. I agreed to head up the decorations committee for the celebration of the 5th graders that will be moving on to middle school. She is sad to be leaving the only school she has known for the past six years but is looking forward to what's next.



The party had a Luau theme. I made these cut outs of all the 5th graders. It was a lot of work and I got some help from some other moms which was wonderful. I also got a lot of help from my kids who every day after school would beg me to give them cut outs to work on while I read Harry Potter to them. No problem! I can do that!





We also put up papers that they wrote what they want to be when they grow up and their favorite memories from elementary school.



I have a very sweet friend that let me borrow a lot of her Luau decorations which helped the budget and saved me from a lot of shopping time. I covered the tables in paper and set out crayons. It ended up being a hit and really helped with the younger siblings and even some bored parents.




I must say that I am glad it is behind me now. It was all consuming for a while and a bit of a stress. At the party they had a slide show that showed the kids through the years. It was set to music and I had a hard time keeping the tears in. I am so proud of my daughter and the choices she is making in her life. I am excited for her as she learns and grows and becomes a lovely young lady.

On a side note...we had a visitor in our backyard a few days ago.



A parrot! It was up there talking away which of course got our attention. It visited for a few hours and then spread its wings and flew up over the houses and off into the sunset. Weird...but fun!

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

What great decorations! That beach scene with all the kids is such a fun idea -- I'm sure they LOVED it!

Tina said...

Looks like you did a great job! Those decorations are so cute of the kids and the covered tables was a great idea!

And the parrot, that must have been exciting to have him as a visitor!

Lou said...

Fun! Now middle school angst can start - a whole NEW stage for Mom. Really cool about the parrot. Wonder who he belongs to...I've heard that we have some parakeets out too that have escaped from owners cages. Our climate is mild enough that they can survive.

em's scrapbag said...

You did a great job with the decorations. I love the kids in the beach scene.
How fun to have the parrot visit.

Gina said...

fabulous decorations

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Rebekah said...

those luau dancers are too cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails