Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bye Bye Baby

I took my baby (Bernina sewing machine) to the doctor and dropped her off for who knows how long. It is just for a check up and to look into a few issues she is having. They are issues that she has always had, I bought her used off ebay, and I have learned to live without them. But since I was taking her in I thought I would see if they could be fixed. It would be so nice to have those features that I have never had since I bought her.


I have had my Bernina for about 5 years (I think) and I have never taken her for a check up and cleaning (sounds like the dentist!). The reason is that I don't have a good back up and it is never a good time to be without a good, working sewing machine. I was explaining this to my friends at my recent retreat as they were gathered around in shock at the full grown dust bunnies living in my machine. Right then and there my friend Mimi said that I could take her machine home with me and it would be my back up so that I could send my baby to the doctor. Can you believe the generosity! I couldn't! I was amazed. A couple days later when she was leaving the retreat she marched over, set her machine down by my side, and said goodbye.


Here is the little beauty that she is letting me borrow. It is a Janome, a brand I have never used. I am enjoying using another machine although I do feel like I am cheating on my Bernina. I am glad she is not her to see it.




I am especially enjoying this 1/4" foot with a guide on it. I don't have one and have always wanted to try one out. I really like it!! I don't think Bernina offers one for my machine but I am not sure about that.


Here is another feature my machine doesn't have. A button that controls the speed of the machine. This is clever, but not for me. I keep it on the fastest speed and even then I wish it were a bit faster. I am a sewing speed demon.




I was at my guild meeting the other day and was sitting with my friend, Ada. I told her that I had taken my baby in (she was one of the shocked quilters at the retreat) and thought I should share this with her so she could get a full nights sleep again. I told her of Mimi's generosity that made it possible. Ada says to me, "You should have told me you needed a back up. You could have borrowed one of my machines. I have 17." WHAT!! I was sure I heard incorrectly. Seventeen machines! Wow! She has since sent me a list of her machines and she doesn't have 17. She has 18. Yep.
Maybe lots of machines is more the norm than I thought. So I am dying to know. How many do you have?


22 comments:

~Kristie said...

What model Bernina do you have? I too bought mine off of eBay (Activa 135) and got a #57 Patchwork foot with guide. It's GREAT! My piecing has never been better! LOL

rachel griffith said...

18 machines?!?!?!
are you serious????
wow.

i think i just fainted.

Sherri said...

I've never heard of anyone with 18 machines...wow!!! I do have 2 Janomes...because I'm so addicted to sewing I have to have a back-up in case one goes in for service!!! Oh, wait...I have 3...I have my great-grandmother's tredle machine!!!

Kim said...

My friend probably has more than 18 if you include the 5 featherweights and the 15 or more kid-size sewing machines that she collects along with the 2-3 Pfaff's she owns.

I just have four.
My Viking Sapphire that I use daily. My Mom's Viking that I have but use rarely. My Viking Rose that I let my daughter use and a smaller machine that I bought for my 10 year old to use. My two vikings also have a seam guide and I love it.

Vicki W said...

I have ONLY 6 machines and 1 is on loan to my Mom. The loaner machine you have looks like the modern version of my Gem Gold. That is a DREAM machine and the 1/4" inch foot is my fav of all of my machines. They know you will become so attached that you will not want to return it and will buy it! Besides, you need a backup machine.

MichelleB said...

Do sergers count? No? I didn't think so. I have 5. But one I only use for machine embroidery. So, 4. But I really only use 2 of those. I guess I need to get rid of a couple of machines. *sigh*

Dena said...

Oh my! Eighteen machines!? I thought I was bad because I own two plus a serger.

I have the 1/4" foot for my Pfaff and I love it. It allows me to sew at a fast, even pace when strip piecing.

Eighteen... it's going to take awhile for the shock to wear off. Hope your baby comes home soon. Seperation Anxiety is never easy.

Lou said...

I only have 3! I feel like a slacker! And one of mine is only for quilting on the frame.
I have the foot with the guide for my Elna and I'm not too crazy about it. I tend to work with a scant 1/4 inch and I think it does a straight-on qtr. So if I use both machines on a project, things don't match!

Gina said...

I've got two machines. A Janome and a cheap machine based on a Bernina. I use the Janome for my patchwork and quilting and the other machine gets used for everything else I sew.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Candace said...

Wow - and I thought having 3 was a bit much (all Berninas)!! Trisha - Bernina makes a 1/4" foot with a guide bar like that - you might ask you dealer - I have one and love it! Hope you get your baby back soon!
Cheers!

Barb said...

I have 5 plus a serger! I have a Viking Diamond, a featherweight, a Bernina 910 (luv that machine!) The Viking Mega Quilter and an old treadle that works wonderfully. I do luv my serger--its a Viking 936. But I don't have 18 and can't even think of what else I would buy to add up to that many!

scraphappy said...

I have to admit that I do have 2 machines. I had a Kenmore deluxe that I upgraded to a Bernina two years ago. I kept the old machine so I would have a backup. My 10 year old daughter calls that one "her" machine and uses instead of mine. I have the speed control as well, and although I always sew at top speed, I have had my Girl Scouts over to sew and it comes in very handy for them. I'm glad your Bernina is getting a good once over, she deserves a spa day of her own.

Colleen Gander said...

Well, you could knock me over with a feather right now....18! recently I purchased a new Pfaff and it has taken a couple of months until I feel now like I'm not cheating on the Pfaff 927 I have had for 20 years. I also have a serger. And if I am lucky, I will get back a 1950s Singer that originally belonged to my mom but currently is with my sister. I don't think she's loving it as much as I could. And I should add, I do use these machines for each of their special characteristics.

em's scrapbag said...

I live with the motto less is more but I do have two. You gotta have a back up. I would like to get a feather weight also. Someday but 18. WOW!

Chookyblue...... said...

I have mine, fairy girl has one and they are both Janome's LOVE them......have my Nan's old machine, dh has an industrial one and i have 2 antiques one electric going and another one is a treadle....needs a belt......

jovaliquilts said...

Janomes are great machines -- and those little gems like you are using aren't nearly what the better versions are. I also love my 1/4" foot with the guide, but some people don't.

Wendy said...

I have a total of 9 yep, nine of them now. With one in the near future to be added. And yes they all work and I do use them.

Rebekah said...

wow, 18 machines? Where does she keep them all?

I hope your repair is speedy and that they are able to bring it back to life even better than when you got it!

Sandy said...

I only have one sewing maching and one Gammill Premier Plus. I bought the Janome for ~$140 on sale at Sears a couple of years ago and I use it like a race car! Zoom, Zoom! I love the quarter inch guide--what a blessing!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Well I have 3 and 2 sergers. I never really use the sergers. They are all Berninas except one is a vintage feather weight. I don't know how I'd manage without at least 2. You know how it is, you are deep in a project and all of a sudden there is an "issue". I can just change out. I love my old Berninas. I haven't gotten a new machine in 20 years I think. Nice of her to let you borrow. My mom always said "NEVER LEND YOUR SEWING MACHINE TO ANYONE!".

Ginny said...

I have 3 machines and a serger. One Bernina 1008 for piecing, one Viking Mega Quilter, and a Viking SE for embroidery. I use them all too!

=Tamar said...

It's awfully easy to acquire extra machines. One to use, then MIL's, then a rescue, then a great buy at the thrift shop - suddenly you have a collection. I can quit any time, you know...

Related Posts with Thumbnails