Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Quilt Along

Last year I spent my birthday in San Diego with my sister and we went to the San Diego Quilt Show. At the show my sister bought me a fat quarter pack of fabric called Rhapsody. I have since added to them and was saving them for something special.


When I read about the Old Red Barn quilt along, I knew I wanted to participate and that I would finally get to use these gorgeous fabrics. Because I am working with fat quarters (instead of the half yards recommended) I changed the block size to a 10 1/2" block to get the most use of my fabric. I had fun arranging my strips for the blocks so that there would be a good variety.


When sewing my blocks together I like to avoid sewing rows. I get bored by sewing row after row and then sewing the rows together. So I sew mine into bigger blocks and then I sew the bigger blocks together. It may not be faster, but it feels faster and that is most important.


I usually lay my quilt blocks out in the family room but I sew in the dining room. It is amazing how that layout you painstakingly worked on can get messed up just one room away. So I take a picture of each block grouping before I sew them together. When I am at the machine I can double check the arrangement on my camera.

Here is my quilt top all done! I love how it turned out!



Now I just need to decide how to quilt it!

13 comments:

Molly said...

I LOVE your quilt top! I totally know what you mean about everything getting jibbered up while laying out/sewing...ack! :)Your blog is fun to read! :)

Lisa said...

the quilt top looks wonderful. how do you lay out the colors? do you have a master plan, or just switch them around until they look right? whatever you do, you sure have a good eye for color and flow of the design.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I have some of that fabric! I am loving seeing everyones Red Barn quilts.

Jodi@SimplyThisThat n.. said...

LOVE how your quilt turned out! And sewing the blocks! What a great idea! Seriously. I hate sewing row after row! My least favorite part when quilting "rows". Very cool! And I do the camera thing too! Has come in handy many times.

MelissaS said...

Awesome! I'm playing along with Old Red Barn too. And I'm at the quilting stage too.

Love the top!

Rebekah said...

Very pretty! I love the fabrics and colors you used in this!

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I'm getting ready to sew some rows myself, maybe I should make them into blocks instead!! x

Mishka said...

Trisha,

It's gorgeous, turned out great.

I do the same thing with the camera so I don't mix up the layout. I usually lay out the design on my bed, as the second I try on the floor I have two friendly kitty helpers.

Cheers,
Michele
Quilting Gallery

Pat said...

I LOVE your quilt - I just subscribed to RBQ so I won't miss the next KAL :-)
(I'm out of the quilting blog loop and must get in so I don't miss these things!)

Candace said...

How pretty, Trisha! And what a great idea to take photos of the blocks as they're laid out - I would have never thought of that!
Cheers!

Alexis said...

It looks great! I love your description of your sewing process too :-)

Gina said...

I love how your quilt turned out

Love and hugs Gina xxx

peaknits said...

What great fabrics for your QAL quilt! Gorgeous top!

Related Posts with Thumbnails