Monday, June 29, 2009

Shop Hoppin'

The kids and I spent last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings doing the Western Washington Shop Hop. There were over 55 quilt shops that participated in the hop. We only got to 12 shops. My kids were really good, but 12 shops ended up being their max. The kids and I each had a passport that we took into each store and got it stamped. Then I would get a pattern and some of the fabric to make that shop's block (most of the shops sold additional fabric for around $1 to be able to make the whole block) and the kids got to pick out a charm square of fabric. You can see a sample here of what a quilt would look like if you picked up most all the blocks from all the stores. It is really fun to see all the different quilt shops and see what kinds of fabrics they offer. I have a lot of great choices for places to shop for fabric for my quilts!

I really kept it in control with the spending. I bought this t-shirt from Bayside Quilting in Olympia, Washinton. I have wanted one of these for a while and it was fun to shop there for the first time. Of course I had to buy it in my favorite color, red. Don't you love how she is holding a rotary cutter!


Another purchase I am excited about is one that I made at Trains in Tacoma, Washington. This is such a great store but I don't think they have a website so I don't have a link. Donna is the owner and her prices are really good. She has a great selection of fabrics. When I saw her shelves of solids I knew that I had to pick out the fabric for a quilt that Rebekah made that I coudn't stop thinking about!! So I picked out colors I loved and that I felt looked nice together. Then I went looking for a fabric that incorporated those colors for a fun binding. The print I picked is a Kaffe Fassett and I love the look of it.



I am excited to make my 12 blocks from shop hop. My friend, Lou, is giving me some extra blocks she got from shop hopping with a friend that collected blocks but doesn't quilt. And Lou is giving some of them to me! Yay!


Yesterday I sat down and hand sewed the binding down on my braided table runner. Not my favorite part of the quilting process but I like the look of it so much that I suffer through.



And I ran over to JoAnns this morning for some basting spray and the backing for my quilt along quilt. I found the perfect fabric that is cute and has the same colors as the quilt top. Yay! I love it when that happens! Only bummer is there wasn't enough left on the bolt so I will have to piece the back. I am sure I will end up glad it happened this way because I do love the look of a pieced back.


My kids are each working on a paint by numbers kit right now. My daughter finished one yesterday and it turned out so wonderful that we picked up two at JoAnns today. I am off to work on my quilt along quilt.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Fun that you can take your kids and do the shop hop thing! Like all the fabric you chose! Cute t-shirt!

Taiya said...

I love your quilts! So beautiful!

Gina said...

love the runner. the applique really sets it off.

well done your kids on managing 12 shops. Gemma would probably have done 2 before she drove me crazy

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Fiesta said...

your braided runner is spectacular. I have a braided border that is just sitting there.
I might just make it into a runner thanks to you.

Wool Winder said...

The table runner is very pretty.

I'm not a quilter, so I'd never heard of basting spray. Sounds like a terrific time saver.

Rebekah said...

That shop hop sounds like a lot of fun! Yay for getting to enjoy the shops while toting around your kiddos!

Rosie the Quilting Riveter is so cute. That's hilarious that she has a rotary cutter in her hand.

And, your braided table runner is beautiful! I've always loved that braid design. I'll have to try it out sometime

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I love that tree fabric. It is lovely. And of course the runner is beautiful. How fun that you took your daughters on the shop hop. A fond memory of mine is fabric shopping with my mother.

Linda B said...

I love Kaffe Facett, you made great choices. And the fabric from JoAnn's is soooooooo cute.
Good job.

Alexis said...

I can't believe I missed the shop hop! I've been too busy... I love the fabrics you got, and the table runner looks terrific!

em's scrapbag said...

55 shops in a shop hop Wow! We only have around 14. Love the Kaffe Faucet fabric you got. The runner looks fabulous. I love binding quilts it is one of my favorite parts. Now cutting that is a necessary evil in quilting.

SewCalGal said...

Glad to hear that you made some time for the WA shop hop. I've only done a few stops before, but really enjoyed it. One of the best shop hops ever.

I have fallen in love with your cheerful table runner. Very cute.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Candace said...

I'm catching up here, Trisha! Wow - 12 shops is impressive - that would be about my limit, too! I went to only two - but did pick up the "bee" block which I think will make a terrific pillow! Love your quilts - wonderful colors!
Cheers!

AJ said...

Love the braided table runner!

Related Posts with Thumbnails