Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crater Lake

We spent the past week camping at my favorite place, Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. For me, this is a little piece of heaven on earth.



Over 7,000 years ago this was a mountain, a volcano that erupted. A huge chamber of magma emptied in the eruption and the weight of the mountain couldn't be supported anymore and it collapsed. Rain and snowfall has since filled the caldera to form Crater Lake.


There are no inlets or outlets to this lake. The water level barely fluctuates because there is an almost perfect balance of evaporation/seepage and rain/snowfall.


It is the deepest lake in the United States and the water is incredibly clear. But the most stunning thing about this lake is the color of the water. It is the most amazing deep blue color. My pictures don't come close to showing how blue and gorgeous this lake is.



This was our third camping trip to Crater Lake. We do a lot of hiking when we go but we have never hiked down to the water as a family. The kids have always been too small to make the steep hike back out once you have gone down to the water's edge. But this year we hiked down to the water and took a boat tour around the lake. It was so awesome to get to see the lake and the inside of a volcano from that perspective.







We did a lot of hikes up to high points around the rim of Crater Lake too. I was sure I was going to get a picture of the whole lake after climbing to the tops of some of the surrounding peaks but the lake is so big that I could only get parts of it.


If you ever have a chance to visit this beautiful national park, don't pass it up. You will always be glad you did. And maybe it will become as special to you as it has for me.

23 comments:

Linda B said...

Don't you just love that part of the country? We vacation in Sunriver, Or. every year, and the geology of the area is amazing. Never thought I'd be interested in such things. Try going north to Paulina Lake and East Lake and the Obsidian flow some day. Wow!!

ferne said...

I love Crater Lake it really is a beautiful place. My Dad is living in Shady Grove which is close and goes to Crater Lake whenever it is open. Beautiful pictures!

em's scrapbag said...

Sounds wonderful. My hubby has been but our family never has. Maybe next time we are in Or. we can make it there.

Lou said...

I'll leave the hiking to you. Is there someway I could be airlifted to the pretty spots...??? It looks gorgeous.

Libby said...

Oh my gosh...I was just going to ask you if you doctored the photos to make the water bluer...but I guess not. That's amazing!

Tina said...

beee.u.teee.ful!

Sherri said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous!

Mel said...

OHHH! I want to be THERE! Looks nice and cool, I LOVE the mountains with a good view!

I'll have to have the family plan a trip there!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG this place is so beautiful.......

Wool Winder said...

I'd love to go there. It's beautiful!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Amazingly picture perfect.

Dena said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! A couple of years ago my husband and I took a road trip and was going to stop at Crater Lake. However, my husband decided he wanted to take a detour to Reno for Hot August Nights instead. We had fun but I'm still wanting to go to Crater Lake. Thanks for sharing.

Trish said...

Wow, that is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

Rebekah said...

wow! This looks amazing! I would definitely like to camp there.

Niki :-) said...

♥ Beauty-full! ♥

Taiya said...

My husband and I visited there on our honeymoon and it was, I think, our absolute favorite stop. That's a pretty big feat, because we had a 6 week honeymoon and travelled all over the western half of the US.

jacquie said...

that blue is amazing. one day i'm going to get there. i'll bet the hiking is pretty cool!

julieQ said...

So gorgeous! I want to go! Someday..

bonnie said...

wow. looks amazing. someday i hope to get there.

Rhonda said...

Oh my family and I were at Crater Lake earlier part of July... such a beautiful place!

Carrie P. said...

Maybe one day I will be able to visit Crater Lake. It is such a interesting lake.

Lucy said...

We have been there too last summer 2009 and I agree with you. It is very impressive to be there. Your pictures make me that I want to go back....

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails