Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Amazing Race

I woke up last Wednesday morning to a love note on my vanity mirror...


It told me to there was a package downstairs on the kitchen table. It was a large envelope that said "open together". I wanted so badly to wake my kids up! But I was good and waited. After they woke up we opened it up and found this...


My husband had orchestrated a whole morning's worth of fun for us! My husband and I love to watch The Amazing Race and the kids know a little bit about it. We couldn't wait to get started. We opened the first envelope and we found out that we needed to use Braille to decode it. Notice the picture of Phil (the show's host), he is doing that eyebrow thing he always does. I laughed out loud when I saw that. We always joke about his eyebrow look.


We hopped on the internet because we don't know Braille and figured out where we were supposed to go first. A nearby school. When we got there we opened the next clue. It was a road block. It was so cool that my husband used all the same things they use in the show. If you are familiar with the show you know that a road block is a task that only one team member can do. You get a clue about the task, then you have to decide who is going to do it, then they get find out what the task is.


My son opened this envelope and the clue was "who is ready to run like the wind". He wanted to do it so he found out that his task was to run around the track once going forwards, then sideways, and then backwards. He was so tired when he got back! It was fun to cheer him on.




The next envelope we opened was another route info one that took us to a little lookout park. We had to answer a question about a sign at the park and then we opened our next clue that was a detour. A detour is a choice between two tasks. The task choice was called Winners or Losers? The Winners one was answering a quiz identifying the winners of the competitions they were in from tv shows. The Losers one was (answering the same quiz) identifying the particpants from the Biggest Loser. We chose Losers and took the quiz. Can you tell we like reality tv over here? The kids tried to help but they don't watch any of the shows so it was mostly up to me.




I checked my answers with the key and I passed the quiz with flying colors. Next envelope was a route info that took us to a big park across town. Once there we had to count the number of swings and lifeguard towers. Then we had to do some math which we got right!




The next envelope was a road block so only one of us could perform the task. The clue was called "Chutes and Ladders". I decided I would do it. I had to count to 100 using the play area. Steps upward counted as 1, monkey bars or rings counted as 1, and slides counted s 2. It was fun! I took a picture coming down the slide...



After I completed the task we opened the next envelope. It was a route info that lead us to a waterfront park on Puget Sound. We had to find a plaque that talked about the lighthouse at the park and find the huge bell they used to use before they used a fog horn and answer a question about it. After we got the question right we opened the next envelope. It was another detour, a choice between two tasks we got to do together. It was called Skip Rocks or Skip to My Lou. Skip rocks was just that except we each had to be able to make a rock skip three times and one of us had to be able to skip it five times. Skip to My Lou was all three of us had to hold hands and skip around the park singing the song Skip to My Lou. The kids really wanted to do Skip Rocks but I know I can't skip rocks so since we had to be able to pass at least one of the tasks to get our next clue, we held hands and skipped singing Skip to My Lou across the park down to the beach where we skipped rocks.



The kids easily got the three skips quota but nobody got five and the best I could to was two. I know, lame.


After that the route info took us to a local Fred Meyer store. We had to search the area to find the answer to a question about the where and when the first Fred Meyer store was built. After we found that we had another road block. It was called "Memory". My daughter was the only one left to do a road block and after she read what she had to do I realized that she should have done the one I did and that this last one was meant for me. Oops! This is how the task went... my son and I gathered 12 items from the store and we kept track of all the prices and then wrote them on little papers that were provided. My daughter had to match the items and the prices. It took quite a while but she got them all eventually.



After that the route info took us to our friend's house where we had to sing and do sign language to a song the kids learned at church. They had to teach it to me first. Then we got our last envelope and this is what it said...
Congratulations! Pack your bags because tomorrow you will travel to your final destination and the pitstop for this race! You will need to pack for a 4 day trip. The kids are going to one destination and we are going another. WARNING: the last team to check in will not be eliminated! But hurry anyway because its really exciting!

I was so shocked! He had planned for my kids to stay with our friends (and believe me they had fun!) and he and I were going on a mystery trip! I found out we were flying to Phoenix, Arizona where his brother and his family live. My sister-in-law (who I just love so much) just graduated from nursing school and was having a big party in celebration. My husband and his brother (her husband) had been planning this since February/March. No one else knew we were coming! When we got there she screamed and cried, it was awesome! We spent four days hanging out with them and more members of my husband's family that had come to be there. They were surprised to see us too. We had such a good time. The day before the graduation party the girls went out and the guys went to a baseball game. We had lunch at In-N-Out Burger and I thought I was going to die it was so yummy, I miss In-N-Out so much! Then we went and got pedicures, then went shopping, then to see the Proposal (SO funny!!), and then to dinner. It was so fun to be at her party and be there to celebrate with her. We went to church with them on Sunday and then flew home in the evening. It was such a fun whirlwind of a trip and what fun to get to run our own amazing race! I can't believe how lucky I am that I got go on that fun little trip with my husband and that I have those fun memories of being with people that I love.

20 comments:

Lou said...

How cool! Everything! 'Nuff said.

Kim said...

What a fun and thoughtful thing for your husband to do. It sounds like you had the time of your life. I'm happy for you!

Tina said...

Wow! What fun. I can't believe he went through all that planning with the Amazing Race stuff and everything. What an awesomely creative husband you have! Love him!

Chookyblue...... said...

sounds like heaps of fun.........and then you get a holiday.....yippee

(word verification- wizeduck) you must have known something.......

jaybird said...

i love amazing race... and your story... and i'm super jealous because i want to do it one day!! but i'm glad you guys had so much fun!!

MelissaS said...

Sounds like so much fun!

MichelleB said...

Amazing! lol What a great trip - and what a keeper of a hubby.

Wool Winder said...

That's the most creative thing I've ever heard of. Your husband should win an award for that.

Candace said...

What an amazing husband you have, Trisha! Gotta love that guy for sure! I've never watched the show, but I think now I will!
Cheers!

Sheila said...

I had a smile on my face during the entire post. What fun! I'm a serious reality TV junkie.

peaknits said...

Okay, I seriously just got the chills. What a wonderful husband - the plan and putting it into action - thoughtful to the max! Glad you had a wonderful time - what a great family!

em's scrapbag said...

You have a very good man on your hands. Sounds like a great time.

sewtakeahike said...

oh my gosh Trisha! What an absolutely loving, thoughtful thing for your husband to do! I love it!

amy smart said...

Your husband is so creative! I love the Amazing Race too. :) And how fun to have a little getaway w/o kids. Yay!

Taiya said...

That is so awesome! What a sweetie your husband is! :D Glad you guys had fun.. :P

Rebekah said...

awesome! Your husband sounds like such a creative and thoughtful guy. That was so sweet of him to include the whole family in your secret getaway and that his plans included quality time for all of you to spend together

rachel griffith said...

i am just in awe.
your hubby rocks trisha.
i'm SO glad that yall were able to celebrate with your sis in law.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

This is so incredibly cute. You are very blessed my dear!

jacquie said...

now don't take this the wrong way....i LOVE your husband. how creative and totally fun! he's a keeper!

Barb on cape cod said...

Hi Trisha, just reading some of your older posts. You really have a unique husband, I don't suppose I have to tell you that! I love your blog, and added you to my list, hope it's ok, Barb(Ocean Waves Quilts)

Related Posts with Thumbnails