Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm back and ready to sew

I'm back from the beach and we keep finding sand in everything. I guess that goes with the territory. We had such a fabulous time. The weather was great and that isn't always the case at an Oregon beach, so we got lucky. We rented a beach house with my sister and her family for the week. The cousins were excited to play and bunk together all week. We flew kites, rode bikes, visited a lighthouse, went geocaching, toured the Tillamook cheese factory, went bowling, played games, took naps, roasted hot dogs and smores at a fire on the beach, and most of all played in the sand (at least the kids did). I did this a lot...


A few days before we left on our trip my husband handed me an envelope at dinner (he had an identical one in his hand too). He made a little speech (as I opened it) about how he had been recognized at his job for working hard and putting in lots of hours. About how I deserved the recognition just as much because I am understanding that sometimes he has to put in extra hours and that he appreciates me being supportive. Also that he appreciates me staying home with the kids and taking care of things on the home front. Well that little speech alone was wonderful but to find a $100 gift card in that envelope was icing on the cake. His company had given him two gift cards, you know the ones that look like a credit card and you can spend them just about anywhere. Well his timing couldn't have been better because we were planning on stopping in Portland so that I could go to the Fabric Depot. Suddenly I had a lot more money to spend there, woohoo! My family dropped me off and they went geocaching while I shopped. Almost three hours later I called them to tell them I was done.


I had read on someones blog that the store was overwhelming and she wasn't wrong. It is so big and there is so much fabric. I just walked around a little dazed at first. They have a great selection and when the whole store is 35% off it is hard to not go crazy.



I have been trying to figure out if I can make the two and a half hour drive there, shop, and be back home all in the time the kids are in school. Hmm...


9 comments:

Rebekah said...

sounds like an awesome treat from your husband! Looks like you picked up some great pieces of fabric too :)

MichelleB said...

It sounds fabulous - a beach house, Fabric Depot, and MORE money to spend at Fabric Depot. So sweet of your husband.

Lou said...

good way to end a relaxing week...sensory overload at the fabric store. That place'll do it to you!

em's scrapbag said...

I love the Oregon coast. I'm so happy you were able to enjoy it with your family. Where is the Fabric Depot? I'll have to stop there the next time we go to Oregon.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

The fabric depot is indeed an amazing store. How sweet of your husband to share. And even more miraculous is the fact that in this economy his work rewarded him! That is something unheard of right now.

randi said...

I am seriously jealous that you got to go to Fabric Depot! Cool!

Lima Bean said...

I LOVE, LOVE fabric depot. But like you, the place overwhelms me to no end. I always shop their remnants when i get a chance.

Candace said...

I've been dying to go there, Trisha! Looks like you came away with some fun fabrics, too! If I lived that close instead of 5 hours away, I'd definitely give it a try!!!
Cheers!

free indeed said...

What a wonderful thing for a husband to do! You found the cream of the crop I'd say. I sure could have used some positive renforcement while I was raising our six! 35% off everything in the store???? I would have gone bananas! I do get so overwhelmed in fabric stores because there is so much....I usually leave without much of a purchase because I just don't know what to get....better to go in with an idea in mind....Enjoy all this pampering!

Related Posts with Thumbnails