Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This and That


I can't believe how fast this summer is going! Less than a month and the kids are back in school. It is just coming up too fast. We have been out of town a lot this summer and we aren't done yet. We are going to be gone another week later this month. Off to the beach with my sister and her family. Should be fun and relaxing.


We just got back a few days ago from a drive down to San Francisco to see my nephew baptised. It was a long drive but so worth it to see so much of my family. I took some knitting with me for the drive. I was going to take these socks...



but I have just about given up on them. I was so frustrated to find that my second sock is turning out bigger than my first sock. Ugh! This is why I knit all my socks at the same time anymore. Because time has passed and I guess my gauge has changed. I am not sure what to do. I might have to frog the second sock and cast on with smaller needles. I am currently avoiding these socks altogether.


So instead of taking those socks for the drive down south, I took these and started them on the way. I like how they are turning out so far and the yarn is so pretty.





While in San Francisco I got to see my sister, Tina! It was so good to see her. We snuck off for a couple of hours to visit some local quilt shops. It was so fun to browse the stores with her and talk about life, quilting, blogs we both read, and more. She bought me an early birthday present...





Isn't it cute! It is a Sushi Roll with Minny Muu fabrics. She bought one also in a different color. We decided to each make a quilt with the fabrics. It will be fun to see how different or similar they turn out. We are keeping our design a secret until we reveal the quilts to each other.


I have had no time to quilt with being in and out of town so much but I did find the time to buy some fabric. I bought two charm packs from The Quilted B.com . I met the owner, Barb, at my guild's quilt show and we hit it off. She is just awesome. She sent me this cute pin cushion that she made for me as a thank you for ordering. Isn't it cute? She asked me if I was interested in making samples for her store sometime. Umm, yes please!!




My birthday is at the end of the month so watch for a birthday giveaway coming soon!!

11 comments:

Catherine said...

The change in tension is why, when I was still knitting, I used to always work both sleeves of a sweater at the same time or both sides of the front of a cardigan.
The sushi roll is cute -- how wide are those? They look wider than a jelly roll.

MichelleB said...

I had that same problem with a pair of socks, and ended up frogging the whole foot! I knit it up again, but it was still a bit bigger than the first one. Sigh. They sure are cute socks, though, I love that pattern!

Tina said...

Too bad about those socks, that is so frustating! I loved seeing you and having our get away to the quilt shops! Cute fabric, cute pincushion, and wow, how fun to have an opportunity to make samples for a store!!!

Wool Winder said...

I don't know what to suggest about the second sock that doesn't match. Going down a needle size may be the best solution.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

She's a great sis. Minny Miu love.

jacquie said...

that sushi roll is fabulous! i can't wait to see what you make with it!

julieQ said...

I love both pairs of socks, and sorry about the tension problems. I can't knit, wish I could, because I saw some to die for yarn the other day. I am glad you are getting a few goodies early for your birthday!

Rhonda said...

Yes... summer is going by too fast, but I'm looking forward to a bit of cooler weather as it's been too hot here in southern CA.
Happy Birthday! that Minny Muu Sushi Roll is fabulous!

Sherri said...

I love the Minnu Muu! Happy early birthday!

Rebekah said...

I'm sorry that first pair of socks isn't working out for you. The yarn that you're using for it is so pretty though!

Love that little heart pincushion, too :)

Zlaty said...

I love that pincushion!
I just learning to knit, love your socks!

Happy crafting!

Zlaty

Related Posts with Thumbnails