Monday, October 5, 2009

Labels

I have had a few questions recently about my labels so I thought I would share more about them. I am really bad about putting full blown labels on my quilts so this was my solution, a quick and easy label I can stitch into the seam.


I use fabric sheets that are made to run through your inkjet printer and are color fast. They are easy to use. After you have run them through the printer you just peel the paper off the back, run the fabric under cold water, and then set the color with an iron. I buy mine at JoAnn Fabrics with a coupon because they aren't cheap.



I designed the labels on my computer making sure to leave space for folding them in half and a seam allowance. They measure just under 2" square. I wanted the flowers different colors so that I had different choices when I pick one out for a quilt.



From here I just cut them out and there's no need to turn edges under. I just fold them in half and stitch them into the seam as I am machine sewing my binding onto the quilt. Once they are in the quilt they wash up nicely and don't fray.



They are pretty tough to stitch through when I am hand stitching the binding down but I just get out my thimble for that part.



I hope this is enough info for you to make some of your own labels. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. If I don't write you back it is because your e-mail is set to "no-reply comment" so when you leave me a comment I don't have any way of contacting you. I found some directions here to make sure bloggers can e-mail you back when you leave a comment. You might want to check even if you think you are all set.

13 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

This is a great tip...thanks for sharing with us :)
I am new to quilting and have been trying to figure out how I wanted to do my labels.

Sherri said...

thanks for this post...I'm always looking for label ideas!

julieQ said...

Yes, that is a great idea! I must get better at labeling my quilts, too. Thank you!

Sue said...

fantastic, I'm always after new quilt label ideas.

Cathi said...

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing the how-to!

Rebekah said...

Very cute! I want to get some of that printable fabric for making quilt labels. Thanks for showing what the actual package looks like, too!

MichelleB said...

This is great - thanks!

We Six Nasons said...

Those are all very good tips. I will check into the follow up.

Barb on cape cod said...

Great idea for the labels Trisha!!!! I am glad your family enjoyed the soup! Somewhere on my blog is a great recipe for chili using ground turkey, its yummy!

sewtakeahike said...

cute labels Trisha!

em's scrapbag said...

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.

JG said...

In the past four months I have gotten back to my hobby of making gifts using my sewing machine. A cute label was something missing. After reading your post today, now I know my next step! Thanks so much!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I'm a terrible labeler. Awful 99% of mine do not have labels. I'm going to change that now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails