Friday, October 9, 2009

Quilt Festival

Amy of Park City Girl is hosting another Blogger Quilt Festival! Genius idea, don't you think?



I chose this seasonal quilt for my entry into the festival. My sister, Tina, and I picked this pattern out of an American Patchwork and Quilting magazine to make together. It measures 26"x51" and I think we made them back in 2003. It is one of our sister quilts. She lives in San Diego and I live in Seattle so we got together to work on them. So she has one just like it at her house with her fabric choices.



See that little bit of fabric peeking out of the scarecrow's pocket? That's the fabric Tina used for her scarecrow's overalls and she has a piece of my scarecrow's overall fabric in her scarecrow's pocket.


I think this was the first time I made a bias strip that I used for the vine. And Tina taught me the applique technique where you use freezer paper as a template, starch on the seam allowance, and an iron to turn the edges under. And I think it was my first time using hand applique. Up until then I used fusible web and machine stitching for all my applique. I hand appliqued the pumpkins, the vine, the leaves, and the crow. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I remember Tina helped me with the crow's beak. Man that was a pain! Don't I have a nice sister?


Thanks for stopping by!

edited to add...

My sister just posted her festival quilt over on her blog. If you would like to read more about our sister quilts then click on over for a visit!



34 comments:

sallgood said...

Cute! I always love a checkerboard border! It sounds like you and your sister had a great time making these- how fun that you both have a bit of each other's in the pocket1

...dotty... said...

Yes, you have a very nice sister, and you both have fun memory quilts !

Hey, I'm kindof faraway, but.......need another sister? :)

Zonnah said...

Very cute!

Carol said...

Lovely. Applique is so soothing to the soul.

jabeybaby said...

Super cute! I love the pieces of the other quilt in the pockets.

Sherri said...

Wonderful quilt! I love how the scarecrows have snippets of the fabrics from the other "twin" quilt in their pockets! It's always fun to work on a project with a friend!

Tamela said...

Great Story.......Great quilt.....Wonderful memories!
Sounds like you and your sister had a blast doing this!

Gina said...

Great quilt and what a wonderful story behind it.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

MichelleB said...

I love it Trisha! He's so cute.

em's scrapbag said...

Very fun fall wall hanging. Aren't sisters the greatest? We can learn so much from each other and they are always so willing to help. Nice that you both like quilting. My sisters and I have varied interestes.

Laura said...

It´s a lovely quilt,not so scary scarecrow. A hug from Mexico.

jodi @ Pleasant Home said...

He's adorable. And I love your labels btw.

Cathi said...

Adorable! So perfect for fall. What a nice memory for you and your sister.

tooznie said...

Love this scarecrow!

Heather said...

the seasonal quilts make each new phase so much fun. nice details!

julieQ said...

Darling scarecrow! Love this quilt.

Grandma Rich said...

Isn't it fun to quilt with your sister?! My sister and I do mini retreats every now and then.

Barb on cape cod said...

I love the scarecrow quilt!!! You are so lucky to have a sister who quilts with you! Mine would glue a hem, lol!

Rebekah said...

Adorable! Those pumpkins are so cute!

W. Latane Barton said...

A cute wallhanging that I'd be tempted to make for myself. Very cute.

Anne said...

So cute and I love how you shared little bits of fabric!

SewCalGal said...

Delightful Quilt & great story. Thanks so much for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

pat said...

I LOVE your scarecrow pumpkin quilt and it was fun to see your sister's blog - esp. the picture of both of you with your quilts!

Melinda said...

Nice quilt and it is great for the season.

Rene' said...

Yes, you do have a great sister!! How fun to be able to share your hobby!! Lovely wallhanging. Thanks for sharing.

jacquie said...

this is really fun...i'd like to do some hand applique. i love the look, but have never had the patience. (love your simple labels too..i need something like that!)

kameleonquilt said...

Lovely quilt, and lucky you to have a sister who shares your quilting passion. Come to think of it, you are both lucky :-)

jovaliquilts said...

What a fun quilt for the season! The pieced squares in squares is a really nice touch.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Super cute. Isn't it the best to do things with your sister! Makes life that much sweeter.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

How cute is that! Love the border! Thanks for sharing.

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Zlaty said...

Beautiful quilt! Enjoy it!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty

Carolyn said...

Your quilt is so timely. :) You and your sister did an awesome job!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Very fun quilt!

Casey said...

This is such a fun quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails