Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Schnibbles

 I really liked this month’s Schnibble.  I thought it was cute and with it having stars I gravitated toward patriotic fabrics again.  I just can’t help it!  So I pulled out some charm packs that I had been saving.  Flag Day Farm and American Primer both by Moda.  I got started and soon realized that I wanted it to be bigger.  Not bigger stars but more stars.  I had two American Primer charm packs and one Flag Day Farm so I hopped on the internet and ordered another Flag Day Farm charm pack.  I think the two lines look great together.  I made as many stars as I could with the charm packs.  I ended up with 23.  I am a huge fan of the sawtooth star.  It is my favorite block of all time and there are so many great variations on it.  As I looked at the blocks, this orientation wasn’t doing it for me. 

 DSC07092

But if I set it on point it became the sawtooth star that I love and it appealed to me more.

DSC07093

So that’s what I did as I put my 23 blocks together into a quilt.  I set them all on point and I am so happy with the result.   

DSC07090

It measures 53” across and 32” top to bottom.  I am debating about putting some borders on it.  I made it to hang above the couch in my family room.  I bought the cream fabric that I used for the outer and corner triangles from a local quilt shop that is closing because the owner is retiring.  I bought enough to use for the back too.  I also bought a pretty red for the binding while I was there.

I can’t wait to see what the new Schnibble is for February! 

15 comments:

Tina said...

you're quick! it looks great.

Kathie said...

looks great, I love stars too and well patriotic fabrics perfect choice
Kathie

Kim Walus said...

What a great design and I love patriotic fabric too. I'd have a hard time using any other fabric on this one.

Lisa said...

That looks fabulous! I just love how it turned out and what a great size!

*karendianne. said...

Eye-catching. Friend, this is fantastic. I love it. What a lovely piece you've created here!!!

Janet said...

I love what you've done with the pattern. Great fabrics!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I have that letter fabric. I've been scratching my head about what to do with it. This is so incredibly darling!

Alexis said...

Very cute Trisha! Great job! Which line is that plaid with the little dots from?

Cara said...

I really like that. I was confused by the sizing at first but that is a great idea for the back of the couch.
I adore stars too! So versatile, yet so easy lol.

iSew said...

Hey, I like it. I think it works without the border. :)

LyndaG said...

Great variation on the pattern - and I too love the size.. one of those moments when the light bulb went off. Thanks for the idea.

julieQ said...

Darling, love the colors and the design of hanging behind your couch. It is special!

Rebekah said...

so cute! I think this will look great above your couch. I really like the fabric in the middle of the first block that you posted

Anne Ida said...

It looks wonderful! A great idea taking a pattern you really like, and multiply the blocks to make a larger quilt :o)

jaybird said...

way to change the layout to make it work for you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails