Friday, January 29, 2010

My Dad’s Socks

 

My parents are here for a visit and while they are here we celebrated my dad’s 67th birthday.  Let me tell you about my dad.  He is very cool and very funny and I love to be around him.  I wanted to give my dad a gift that portrayed how much I love him.  For me that translates into hours of dedication and tiny yarn and needles. 

  DSC06983


Yep, I knit him a pair of socks.  This is the first time I have knit socks for a man and let me just say…their feet are BIG!  I used my husband’s feet as a guide since they have about the same size feet.
 

*Let me just put in a little disclaimer here about why I haven’t already knit a pair of socks for my husband.  Believe me, I want to.  I want to cover him in knitted love but you know what…he doesn’t want it.  I know!  It’s crazy!  Who doesn’t want hand knit socks.  They are warm and comfy and fabulous!  But when I mention knitting him a pair of warm, manly, wool socks, his reaction is blah.  It is really hard to set aside hours upon hours of knitting for blah.  In hindsight I wish I would have just knit him a pair and not asked.  In fact, I hoped he would get a little jealous as I tried my dad’s socks on him to gauge how it as going on the size but that didn’t happen at all.  Ok enough about this…I’m getting all worked up. 

DSC06991


I used the pattern called
Mr. Pitt’s Socks.  It is the perfect sock pattern for the guy in your life.  I loved the sock yarn I used which was Knit Picks Essential Tweed, which I believe now is called Stroll Tweed.  Very manly, don’t you think?

DSC06988

My parents live a couple of states away and we don’t get to see them as often as we want to.  I was so happy that they have come for a visit and we got to celebrate my dad’s birthday with him.

14 comments:

Sherri said...

Very cool socks!!!

Marcy said...

My husband has said no socks for year - then I knit some that didn't fit the intended recipient and rather than watch me frog back 2 socks, he begrudgingly took them. Now he has several pairs and is asking for more. Don't give up quite yet.

Sheila said...

Your Dad's socks look great! I think you should just make your hubby a pair on the sly; he will grow to love them and ask for more!

Jodie said...

My husband not only doesn't want socks--he doesn't want anything knitted. He let me make him an ipod sock.
I still love him.

Pokey said...

Very nie! Don't let the sock thing with your husband bother you, I'm sure you have many other ways that you show him your love. You could make him a pair someday, but do not let his blase` attitude get you down.

Sara said...

What did you decide about the Round Robin center?

Please show us what you do with the ones you work on for the other participants.

I've been making sox and felt I had left my DH out, so I made him a pair with grey stripes. He was "willing" to wear them, and put them in the regular rotation. Now he points out to me when he is wearing them!

Alexis said...

So glad you had a great visit with your dad- the socks and that rocking chair are so cool!

julieQ said...

What a sweet thing you did for your Dad. I don't think my dear husband would want any hand knit socks either...me on the other hand!

Gina said...

What a lovely present.

Mal loves it when I make things for him. There are times when I make something for some one else and he gets really disappointed that it's not for him.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

MichelleB said...

Very manly! Such a great picture, too.

Lou said...

cool socks! - and I notice you're weating your Feb. lady sweater???
I've got a friend who's finally asking for socks - and she's always sworn they'd make her feet hot, so there might be hope. Just have to be patient.

Darleen said...

Nice socks. Also nice photo of you and your dad.

Rebekah said...

That's a great photo of you and your dad (you look great in your FLS).

Your dad's socks turned out so great! I love it when socks have different toe and heel colors

peepla said...

Nice job. As for your hubby...knit them anyway...put them in his drawer. Forget about them until you see them again...on his feet. That worked for me in the same senario. I've knit socks for everyone in the family and my man went "hmmm" when I said "a pair for you is on the way" he went "ahh hmmm...not necessary...no." So I knit them anyway. Manly colors...brown alpaca, cream colored leaves. When we split up...they were the only thing he took with him. Point is...he may not think he wants them but given the chance...he will.

Related Posts with Thumbnails