Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Scarf for the New Year

I got an e-mail about a week before Christmas from one of my local yarn shops about a day after Christmas 40% off sale. The only catch, show up at 6 am. I can't think of anything else I would rather lose sleep over than really gorgeous discounted yarn. So I woke up the day after Christmas at 5 am and made my way to the shop in hopes of buying yarn for this scarf. I was 4th in line and it was freezing, the thoughts of wool was the only thing keeping me warm. When the doors opened I hurried in, trying not to knock too many ladies over, looking for the Noro Silk Garden. Guess what? They didn't have any! I wandered around until I came across these four skeins sitting together, no other yarn of its kind in the store.



The last four skeins of Noro Kureyon. Not Noro Silk Garden but it looked the same. I asked the shop owner and she said the only difference was that the Kureyon didn't have the silk. That's all. I can do without a little silk. Kureyon has the same beautiful color striping and yardage as Silk Garden. It worked out perfectly that there were 4 skeins and that's how many I needed. I also wanted two of the same colorway and two others that were different just like Jared (the designer) did. And that's what I got. Two skeins of colorway 149 (greys and tans), one of colorway 214 (blue, green, red/brown, magenta), and one colorway 196 (blue, green, purple). They are a little more subdued than I was hoping for but they do look beautiful together
.


I couldn't tell you all that without showing you how it is coming along. It is so fun to knit! The color changes keep me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see what color combo is going to be next. And it is mindless knitting in that I can watch TV while I knit. I'll keep you posted on how it's coming along over the next little while.

7 comments:

Tine said...

It's gorgeous! Lucky you to find the 4 skeins you needed :)

Tina said...

So pretty!

Dena said...

Beautiful yarns. Lucky you!

I laughed while reading your post. Whenever my husband accompanies me to a sale or event like the Sewing Expo, which is quickly approaching, I always have to remind him to keep his feet firmly on the ground and out of the way because these women have only one thing in the sights and if you're in the way, they'll run over you. His first year attending the Sewing Expo a little old lady almost knocked him to the ground because he was standing in front of some fabric she wanted. LOL

Wool Winder said...

I really like the subtle color changes. Very pretty!

em's scrapbag said...

Makes me want to learn to knit. This scarf is going to be lovely.

Rebekah said...

What a great find...even though you had to lose sleep over it :)

I think the Noro scarf is just about the coolest knitting project out there...I never get tired of looking at a new combo. I've got to finish up mine that I've had on the needles for quite a while now.

conner posse said...

Sooo pretty!! It LOOKS like January!

Related Posts with Thumbnails