Friday, February 12, 2010

The Knitting Olympics

Thanks for your sympathy for my holey sock. The other one is right behind it with the yarn being so thin it would have just taken a few more steps to look like the first. A lot of you suggested darning which I had thought about but figured it wouldn't be worth the trouble for a pair of socks that fit a little too snug. Remember they were my first pair ever. I have fine tuned my sock knitting skills since. But after looking into the art of darning, I am thinking about trying it. It doesn't look like that big of a deal. Why does it seem to have a reputation?


The Winter Olympics start tonight and we are very excited. At least I was until I saw that the opening ceremonies are about 4 hours long. Yikes! I regret getting my kids pumped about watching it. It could be a late night. If you aren't familiar with the online knitting community then let me tell you that we look forward to the Olympics for another reason as well.
The Yarn Harlot started the Knitting Olympics years ago. The idea is to cast on a new and somewhat challenging project during the opening ceremonies and try to finish it by the closing ceremonies on February 28th. That gives me 16 days.



So I decided to try fair isle which I have never done and it should be rather challenging. I looked through my sock books and chose this fun design and looked through my stash and picked out some yarn. I am using Knit Picks Essential in Navy, Calypso Heather, and Edamame. I am excited to see how these colors work out. I have never chosen yarn for color work before so this should be a learning experience in every way. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Tina said...

GOOD LUCK!

Gina said...

look forward to seeing your progress

Love and hugs Gina xxx

MichelleB said...

Cute pattern. I've never tried fair isle before either. I'd love to know how you do with it.

Lou said...

Looking at the pattern - I think I'd be tempted to try to carry the yarn up. It's a thinner yarn than if you were doing a sweater - and I think I'd worry about loose ends on a sock (which gets a lot harder use than a sweater). Unless you're planning to hang them as wall-art - we make wall quilts, why not wall socks????

We Six Nasons said...

You are embarking on a journey that I know I will soon have to try myself. I look forward to hearing how you like it! Great color choices.

Related Posts with Thumbnails