Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My First Lace Shawl

I started knitting this shawl about a year ago. I thought it would be nice to have a shawl for Spring. But it wasn't done in time for Spring so I thought it would be a nice shawl for Summer. At some point I stopped knitting it because I couldn't decide if I should start knitting the border or not. If I started the border that would mean that I was deciding that the shawl would be big enough and I could finish it. But it is hard to tell when it is on the needles and before it is blocked how big it is going to be. So I stuck it in a bag and put it on a shelf in my closet so that I wouldn't have to make that decision.



Well it is almost Spring again so I pulled it out and decided that I was just going to finish it. I found that I had left it right at the place in the pattern where I could start the border or knit another repeat. So I knit the border. I was enjoying knitting on this shawl so much that I was a little disappointed that ten rows later I was done with the shawl. At the same time I thought about how I could have done those ten rows a year ago!




Then I got to experience the magic of blocking. Wow! It sure makes a difference. It opens up the knitting so much and you can see the pattern so much better. And it was good to know that I need a whole lot more T-pins if I ever want to block a shawl again.



I am thankful that my daughter did the modeling for the photo shoot. It looks so good on her. I think it will make its debut at church on Sunday. Hopefully I can wear it as well as she does.



Yarn: Pagewood Farms in the Army Girl colorway (fingering weight yarn)
Needles: Size 8
Mods: I did quite a few more repeats so that the shawl would be bigger.

15 comments:

MichelleB said...

It is beautiful! I love it.

Tina said...

so pretty! and I can't even get past a few rows of the simple shrug without messing up. ugh!

LiahonaGirl said...

That's just lovely Trisha!
Nancy

lou said...

gorgeous! Are you sure you don't want to debut it at Sock Club?

Wool Winder said...

It's beautiful!

Joanne said...

Beautiful! I love the spring colours!

Rebekah said...

Absolutely gorgeous! That yarn is perfect for the pattern (and for spring, too!)

iSew said...

It turned out so pretty!! I'm going to be calling on you for help when I'm ready to block something for the first time. :)

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

My daughter made me a shawl like this for Christmas. It is a red/rust color and I wear it constantly. It is comfortable and warm (even with all the holes!). I absolutely love it. Yours is beautiful.

Jackie said...

I'm sure it will look just as beautiful on you as it does on her! It's a gorgeous shawl. I've just accepted the fact that my knitting will tell me when it's ready to be done. When I force it, it goes badly. So don't worry that it sat there for a bit. It was meant to be that way!

julieQ said...

Nothing but gorgeous!! Very pretty yarn you chose there.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Very nice! There are so many projects I see on the blogs that I want to do, and a shawl is on the list. Maybe someday......

Lou said...

the shawl was much prettier in person!

Barb on cape cod said...

Your knitting is absolutely beautiful!

Betsy said...

Ooooo...that is pretty!! I just love the magic of blocking large pieces of lace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails