Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rainbow Quilt

I had the idea to make it a rainbow that subtly changed colors diagonally across the quilt. It was a lot more of a challenge than I thought it would be to find the fabrics in my stash to make my idea work. And I am happy to say that the quilt is all stash. Feels good! There was a lot of trial and error. A lot of laying things out and stepping back to see if it flowed or if a color stuck out like a sore thumb. In the end I think I accomplished what I set out to do.


For the back I wanted to do another rainbow and having the color gradate in one line was a whole lot easier.



I decided to do what Jacquie calls organic quilting. About halfway through quilting this I was doubting. Not the look but for how long it was taking. I made it take longer by having some of my lines go in the other direction. But I love the finished look of it and in the end I am happy that I suffered through.








I chose a black and white check for the binding. This was a no brainer choice for this quilt. I knew I just had to do black and white. This fabric is great in small doses. When I laid it out to cut the binding strips it was making me dizzy!




Finished it off with a TLC Stitches label and it feels good to have another finished quilt.


I decided to add the Follower option on the right side of my blog. I really appreciate that you take the time to read my blog and comment. It makes my day and is so fun for me. I want to be able to do giveaways for my readers so I added that so that I know who you are. If you read my blog through google reader or bloglines (or any other method) make sure to sign up as a Follower too so that you can be included in some giveaways I am planning.


28 comments:

lou said...

very very cool. Do you get to keep this one? I hope so.

Alexis said...

Looks great Trisha! I love rainbow quilts, and it can be really challenging to get the right range of colors, tones and values, but you did it beautifully! I'll sign up as a follower too-- not so secretly hoping that you'll be giving away this quilt ;-)

Tina said...

Another gorgeous quilt. I like how it turned out...the colors, the binding the quiling. Awesome!

TaraB said...

VERY COOL QUILT!!! I love the design! Where did you get the label?

em's scrapbag said...

This is awesome Trisha. Love the rainbow. Your quilting looks great. And the binding is perfect!

Dena said...

I love the bright prints and the black and white print for the binding is perfect. Awesome job!

Cindy said...

I love the rainbow idea! Very pretty and the quilting is awesome!

Cathi said...

Fabulous!! I love the rainbow effect. The binding is the crowning touch!

jacquie said...

oooh the time you took on the quilting was sooo worth it. it's wonderful. i love the big blocks and you did such a great job on the gradation of the color...totally amazing! color, glorious color!! (thanks for the heads up to come see it...you should bring it to fabric crush!)

Rebekah said...

This is so cool! You totally captured the rainbow perfectly. It was worth all of your hard work. I'm impressed that it was all from your stash!

Melissa C said...

Great quilt. Love the rainbow colors and the quilting.

Marianne said...

Great interpretation! And I agree with your choice for binding.

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

I love everything about this quilt! Rainbows have always been a favorite of mine. The quilting looks great and was probably worth the struggle.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sasha said...

Hi Trish- all I can say is wow! It is beautiful!

an encourager said...

Aren't you clever to make those gradient colors!

Corrie said...

Love it! It has such a crisp clean sunny feel to it.

Béa said...

Wonderful !!! Top, back & quilting, I love them all.
Hugs from France

sewtakeahike said...

love, love, love it Trisha! I agree, the quilting turned out so good!

peaknits said...

Another lovely FO! I love it!

Pat said...

Your quilt's are lovely, my dear friend. Happy Easter!

Libby said...

I adore this. Great job with the colors and I love the quilting. Awesome!

iSew said...

Wow Trisha, it's gorgeous! I've thought about making myself something like that but have never found the time, or been brave enough. You're a great inspiration!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your colour work and your quilting on this! Gorgeous!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh I love the color wheel effect. Lovely job, really lovely.

Andrea said...

Wow! That is a beautiful quilt. It makes me wish I could sew. Love your blog!

Margaret @ Konstant Kaos said...

I love this quilt! I am currently making the Fransson Paintbox quilt, but this one is gorgeous!

American Quilter's Society said...

This is so cute! The pattern and colors go brilliantly together. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog; keep up the great work, we look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails