The first round of our quilt guild's round robin is coming to a close. I am handing this off to Susan tonight. The center is Ada's block and she did a Dresden plate in 1930's reproduction fabrics. Luckily I have some of those in my stash. So I used the white and some of her '30s fabrics along with lots of my own.
I am excited about what I came up with for her quilt. I love all the scrappy 9 patches. And it was a really natural way to introduce a lot more fabric without it looking wrong. Putting them on point and making the border fit the block was tricky. Ada had stitched in black around the Dresden plate and I wanted to bring that black out so I put a half inch black border in between her block and my 9 patch strips. I think it adds a lot.
Ada's Dresden plate square is 16" and now with my border it is 25 1/2". Our borders are not supposed to be more than 6" which I didn't take into consideration until after I had finished it and was measuring. Whew! Mine are 5".
Round robins are fun, not only because you get to see what everyone has done along the way with each other's quilts, but you also get to see later what they did after your border. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this quilt that frankly, I have become attached to.