Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Round Robin

Are you quilters sick of seeing my knitting yet? If so this post is for you...

The first round of our quilt guild's round robin is coming to a close. I am handing this off to Susan tonight. The center is Ada's block and she did a Dresden plate in 1930's reproduction fabrics. Luckily I have some of those in my stash. So I used the white and some of her '30s fabrics along with lots of my own.




I am excited about what I came up with for her quilt. I love all the scrappy 9 patches. And it was a really natural way to introduce a lot more fabric without it looking wrong. Putting them on point and making the border fit the block was tricky. Ada had stitched in black around the Dresden plate and I wanted to bring that black out so I put a half inch black border in between her block and my 9 patch strips. I think it adds a lot.



Ada's Dresden plate square is 16" and now with my border it is 25 1/2". Our borders are not supposed to be more than 6" which I didn't take into consideration until after I had finished it and was measuring. Whew! Mine are 5".


Round robins are fun, not only because you get to see what everyone has done along the way with each other's quilts, but you also get to see later what they did after your border. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this quilt that frankly, I have become attached to.

23 comments:

Busy As Can Be said...

I love it! So cute!

jabeybaby said...

I love your border! Super cute little quilt!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

LOve it and love the round robin idea. This is a great quilt. The open space shows off the design so well.

Jayne said...

Oh gosh, I love that simple 9-patch border. So sweet and easy and perfect. It really complements the dresden plate center. Yes, I can see why you'd be attached to this, for sure. I hope you continue to give updates on this as it finishes. I, too, was thinking that it'd be tricky to get the borders to fit perfectly onto the center. I have a panel that I want to use as a center for a round-robin (I also call it medallion style - is that the same thing?). I'm nervous about what to do next because of getting the rows to fit properly.

Stanton Blog said...

I love it! Great job Trisha.

em's scrapbag said...

Oh my goodness this is so sweet. Your border is the perfect touch.

Dena said...

I love 30's reproduction prints and this is a perfect use for them. Great job!

Anne Ida said...

That is so pretty! Your scrappy nine patch round is perfect for the centre dresden plate. Hope you get the opportunity to share the next rounds on these RRs - or that we get to see them finished!

Cindy said...

It's so pretty! You really complimented the block with your border. I don't know if I would have thought to add the black but I love it!

Jackie said...

Wow! I'm really loving this. Your idea of using the scrappy 9 patches was a wonderful choice. It really works.

Sherri said...

Love this...the scrappy nine patches...the dresden...wonderful!

Sandy said...

That is one gorgeous block...I love dresden and 30's fabrics!

Kathie said...

looks great, I hope you will continue to show the progress on your round robin blocks/quilts!
thanks
Kathie

Rae Ann said...

This is going to be an absolute beauty! Very nice!

iSew said...

It looks great!! And I'm not surprised you put your blocks on point, hehe. I can't wait to see what's next.

Tina said...

You've gotten a lot of love for this! It looks great. Good job making the border fit so nicely!

Cathi said...

That's a fabulous border! The little 9-patch blocks are so perfect with that Dresden Plate centre. I'd love to see what gets added to it next.

Rebekah said...

I love the border you added! Round robin quilts sound like so much fun. I can't wait to see how this quilt and your quilt turn out

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I really love this! I had to show my friend, she loves 30's dresden plate quilts. I bet she makes one just like this!

Quilts on Bastings said...

I love the 30's fabrics and you have done a great job with the border you have added.

randi said...

This block is very impressive! I love the prints and the piecing!

Lisa D. said...

What a perfect addition to the Dresden Plates. You made a great choice!

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh...I LOVE it. I'm a HUGE fan of dresdens.

Related Posts with Thumbnails