Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sock Club


My LYS is having a Sock Club where we are knitting a pair of socks every month. Our teacher, Jeannie, has chosen this book for most of the socks we will be knitting.


DSC07215

It has a lot of great patterns and I am really excited about getting together with friends every month and starting the same project. Our teacher had cast on for this sock three different times with three different yarns to find one that you could see the pattern of the sock. I was very choosy with my yarn knowing this. I picked out this pretty Koigu sock yarn in yellows and greens. I figured it would be perfect for this pattern.


DSC07144



As I knit the cuff it was looking great but when I got into the leg of the sock the colors started to pool, and not in a good way. All the
light seafoam green and peachy yellow were on one side…


DSC07193



…and all the green darker green and yellow were on the other. So ugly! And who knew what the second sock would end up looking like. So I frogged it.


DSC07195



I ended up picking out another beautiful Koigu in pinks and purples and cast on. I knit with bated breath. I was happy to see that a ways into the leg I was safe. No ugly pooling!


DSC07196



Here is the other side of the sock, looks good too.


DSC07197


I cast on the second sock and the color is working out well on that one too. It is going to be so fun to see how everyone’s socks turned out later this month!


I have always wanted to make a rainbow quilt and I am really excited about what I am going to make. I want to use these fabrics pictured below. I’m not sure yet on all of them (too much white in some of those reds) and need to find some more of some colors as well.

DSC07218



I want to have the color gradate across the quilt diagonally with a white background. I really want to use all stash for this so I am going to have to dig deep to find fabric that will work.

14 comments:

Alexis said...

Great socks and your Schnibble is going to be gorgeous! I love rainbows... I wanna copy that project!

Sherri said...

Your Roundabout quilt is going to be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

peaknits said...

You are sock-inspired - one pair a month - how wonderful to wear those come all - yummy!

em's scrapbag said...

Bummer about the sock the one side looke great! Love the fabrics you've choosen for your Schnibble.

julieQ said...

Very pretty sock, I liked the frogged one too! Your fabric selections will make an amazing quilt.

We Six Nasons said...

I appreciate your bravery in knitting. To start a pair of socks and be willing to frog it twice takes great courage. The purple is beautiful.

Rebekah said...

that sounds like such a fun club at your lys! I am thinking about trying out my first sock sometime soon :)

Love that first color of koigu in the skein, but love the second color in the sock.

Can't wait to see your next schnibbles project...I love rainbows :)

Lou said...

I like the pink socks...very cool. The others would have been a little bi-polar wouldn't they?

Jackie said...

I love your final yarn choice. I'm not a big fan of pooling either. Your fabric choices for you Schnibbles are wonderful.

LadyV said...

Hi, I just found your blog...I've been in the "pooling colour" situation and I ended up frogging but not starting again; another project called me :-) I now have another sock project on my needles and they're almost finished your post has inspired me to go back and try the frogged ones again.

iSew said...

oooh, your socks are looking great! I really need to find some yarn and start working on mine.

Sinta Renee said...

Your Roundabout is going to be so much fun in the color wheel assortment you picked. I can't wait to see it finished!

winterpeachblog said...

I always thought knitted socks would be itchy, but your post makes me want to try a pair out! Arlene

Ann said...

What a neat idea for a sock club.
Especially since the book is sock club patterns!
I think both socks looked cool.
I hope you made it through the instep without a problem. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails