Sunday, March 21, 2010

Swirl Socks

On Saturday we met at my LYS for another sock club and started a new sock. But first we pulled out our finished socks we worked on the previous month. It was so much fun to see everyone's finished socks or almost finished socks. I loved seeing the same pattern done in lots of different sock yarns.




I really enjoyed this pattern. I thought it was really fun to knit and I love the look of the spiraling stitches. The instep was a bit tricky but with some tips from our instructor, Jeannie, I got the concept of how the stitch pattern was "moving". The designer also does a nice job in the book at explaining what the pattern is doing and what to watch for.



I love how they feel on my feet. Koigu is a very nice yarn with a tight ply. I love the colors in this yarn too. I have knit with Koigu before and had the socks stretch quite a bit so I am hoping that knitting on a smaller needle size, which I did with these socks, will solve that problem.


Pattern: Rainbow Swirl by Ann McClure from the book Sock Club
Needles: size 1 (2.25mm)
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino

Here is the next sock we will be making this month. It is called Reina and it is also from the Sock Club book. I finished my Swirl Socks earlier in the week so I cast on these before our class. I like to knit my socks with DPNs (double pointed needles) and I am very susceptible to second sock syndrome so I get both socks started and I knit on them both regularly. I always pick up the one that isn't as far along and that way they are always both progressing.


This pattern is very beautiful and so I picked a solid colored heathered yarn to show it off. I have been surprised at how quickly these socks are coming along. I seem to always feel that way when I knit sock patterns from a chart. I think I spend more time at each sitting because I like to see the pattern form.

What can I say? I am totally addicted to knitting socks.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Wonderful socks! I'm too slow to knit a pair a month. I don't currently have a pair on the needles and am kind of missing that!

I'm a dpn lover too but I have learned the other methods. DPNs suit my big hands better.

iSew said...

Seriously Trisha, this just isn't right. The sock club meeting was only yesterday!! How can you be that far along already. (They are gorgeous though.) I'm going to have to buy some yarn for mine.

iSew said...

Whoops! I just realized these are the same socks I'm working on, haha. I couldn't tell because you switched yarns on me...and mine look completely different!

Lou said...

so - did everyone @ church like your shawl? And I like your spiral socks ON your feet even better than just showing them. The spirals show up better. I think I'm going to use some of my own kool-aid dyed for the socks where we want the stripes. Better get knitting on the others first tho...haven't finished the spiral, much less the ones for THIS month!

Wool Winder said...

Socks are fun to knit and even more fun to wear. Enjoy your beautiful new pair and all the ones to come.

We Six Nasons said...

Beautiful socks! I love the patterns of both, but I am intrigued by the second pair you are working on. I think I will have to find this book! I also think I will have to try out the yarn.

Rebekah said...

beautiful socks! That is such a pretty stitch pattern

Related Posts with Thumbnails