Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Charity Quilts

I've thought a lot lately about quilting for charity. It is something I think about alot but it never goes much farther than that. I have done some charity quilting through my church and my quilt guild but nothing very regular. With how long I have been quilting I think that is pretty pathetic. So when I saw Jackie's post where she mentions making a quilt for Quilts for Kids, I knew it was the push I needed. You just hop online, they send you a kit, and they give you a deadline of 4-6weeks to send back the completed quilt. I work much better with a deadline. And it's not my fabric to begin with so I can't fall in love with it and keep it. Awesome!

So I sat down the other day to work on the kit they sent me. The fabric is so cute and bright. I was really enjoying myself. Which is good since I haven't sewn anything in over a month. Here is how it is coming along so far...





So I was happily quilting along when what pops in my head? "Trisha, you should make 40 quilts for charity by the time you turn 40 years old." What?! Where did that come from? That sounds like a lot! So I did the math... I turn 35 in August, so that gives me 5 years...so 8 quilts a year. Hmm... That doesn't sound so bad, and if I begin now with this quilt I can get a head start.

So...do you want to join me? I have decided to start Charity Quilts For My Birthday. My sister, Tina, made me a button using a picture of the beautiful cake quilt I received for DQS8 from Lisa.




For me this will be a 5 year commitment, unless I am amazing and get it done sooner. For you it can be however many quilts you want to donate, by whatever birthday you choose. And of course as you make your quilts, you decide the charity you want to donate to. Just think how fun this can be if we all do it together! And if you want to e-mail me pictures of your finished charity quilts, I will post updates of your finishes with pictures and a link to your blog. So what do you say? Are you with me? Just post on your blog what your goal is for Charity Quilts For My Birthday, and be sure to add the link to your post below in Mr. Linky. And don't forget to grab the button from my sidebar for your blog. Let the charity quilting begin!!


Edited to add: I have had some e-mails asking if you have to have a blog to participate. No you do not need to have a blog. I would hate for that to be the reason why charity quilts aren't made. So if you don't have a blog and want to participate, no problem. Just shoot me an e-mail at tlcstitches(AT)msn(DOT)com and let me know your goal. As you finish your charity quilts send me pictures and you will be included in the charity quilt update posts.



13 comments:

Pat said...

That's great my dear friend. It's a wonderful feeling to give a little to someone, especially a quilt to comfort them and keep them warm.
I make several quilts for charity every year. You could see some of them on my blog if you want to visit it. quiltingcanbefun
Good luck, my dear!
Happy Quilting!

Stanton Blog said...

Hi Trisha,

I actually tried to call you today because you hadn't added anything to your blog in a month. I was getting worried about you. Looking forward to seeing you at the Memorial Day retreat! I agree, I need to do some quilts for charity too. Looks like a good time to make a committment.

lou said...

I'll join up - but first I want to tell you - since I turn 59 in a couple of weeks...I'm NOT signing up to 60 charity by 60!!!!! Trust me on that one! I'll fill in more when I'm at the home computer.

em's scrapbag said...

Count me in. Since today is my birthday I'll shoot for next birthday and commit to 6 charity quilts by then.

Rebekah said...

what an awesome goal! I think my quilt guild is going to be making baby quilts through this organization.

julieQ said...

What a wonderful goal! I am going to order a kit to make for a child...just wonderful colors in yours. Good for you!

sewtakeahike said...

Trisha! That's such an awesome goal! Thank-you, thank-you for being such a server and lover of others and doing this, you've totally blessed my day with this post!
p.s. your quilt is lovely! and someone's going to be completely blessed!

Linda said...

This is a great idea! I have made charity quilts over the years, but have sort of slacked lately. Thanks for the nudge. Since I was 40 a LONG time ago, I am going to have to think of a more appropriate goal.

LJ said...

Good luck Trisha. When you break it down that's 8 quilts a year for the next 5 years. You've got 4 tops done already! Woot woot! Goo you!!

Sharon said...

Fantastic idea! This is one of my new year resolutions...to use up some of my stash to make charity quilts. My goal was one a month and I think I will stick with that one. I did make one for the Quilts for Kids, and our guild makes charity quilts for a couple of local organizations.

Mel said...

AWESOME idea!! I wanna do it!!
I'll have to think of my goal, but I'll put the darling button on my blog now!!

Jackie said...

I'm getting back from a blog break so I'm just now seeing this post. Quilts for Kids is a great charity and all my charity kids quilts are going there from now on. I'm still working on my quilt for them and hope to make some progress this weekend. You have an awesome goal and I hope you make it!

Kathy T. said...

I found your "Charity Quilts" button on Thanksgiving Day ... how appropriate. I already make some charity quilts, but I will be asking for fabric for Christmas to make more and will keep you posted. Thank you for this wonderful idea. I should have plenty to post by my birthday in May!

PS Sure hope your back is way better soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails