Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My new favorite quilt


Here is the big reveal!  This is what I did with all those gorgeous solids I showed you in the previous post

DSC07650


I saw this quilt in my April 2010 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting and fell in love.  I loved the bright colors and the modern design.  I stalked Kona sales online for a couple weeks until finally ordering the whole lot from Fabric Depot.  When my order arrived in the mail I found that some of the colors were a little too close to each other in shade.  I supplemented from some Kona solids from JoAnns, just a few.  I really need one of those Kona color cards! 

 

DSC07651 

The pattern calls for assorted bright solids so I just picked what I liked in a variety.  When it came time to pair them up I laid out the stacks of colors and started putting them together starting with stack one and then all of stack two.  That way there were no duplicates.  The white is Kona Snow and the sashing and borders is Kona Teal Blue.  The teal is the same color they used in the magazine and I thought it was so stunning that I decided to make it just like the quilt in the magazine. 

DSC07655

I used a design wall at the retreat for block placement.  Which was huge in being able to place blocks and step back and take a look.  It was a little tricky as some of the blocks looks similar but in different shades.  I didn’t want those too close together if I could help it.  At the same time I was trying not to sweat it too much knowing that when it was all together it probably wouldn’t be too obvious.

DSC07657
 
The quilt measures about 76” x 89”.  I will probably quilt it like they did in the magazine with a water ripple pattern in the blocks and a small stipple everywhere else.  We will see if I change my mind.

 

DSC07659

I love how the blocks look like doors.  And I put some colors together purposely to represent some of the people I love.  Like my daughter’s door is in her school colors and so is my son’s.  My husband’s door is in two shades of his favorite color and mine is in two shades of mine.   The cool thing is that if our tastes or change or when school colors change we can more to a different door in the building.  Do you see your door?

25 comments:

MichelleB said...

I love it! It is a great quilt.

teaginny said...

Wow, wow, wow! This is a stunner! Can't wait to see it quilted.

Margaret @ Konstant Kaos said...

Nicely done! I love the simplicity, yet the complexity of the colours. The sashing looks spectacular as well. Well done!

Tina said...

that's a beauty Trish. are you going to quilt it yourself?

Jackie said...

It's a gorgeous quilt! I love your door analogy and how you have doors for you family members. It's that kind of thing that makes a quilt much more special.

rachel griffith said...

this. is. awesome.

Vicki W said...

That's very cool!

Kim Walus said...

What a gorgeous quilt. Your color placements are stunning and I do love the sashing color. Wow!!!! Do show it again when you're done quilting it. Thanks.

Pat said...

What a bright beautiful quilt - I think it would be so much fun to pair up those beautiful solids for "the doors"!

What Comes Next? said...

It is beautiful!

iSew said...

It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see it quilted. :)

jabeybaby said...

Beautiful quilt!

Sinta Renee said...

Your quilt is beautiful Trish! Was that made from the fabrics cut in the last post??? It is really going to be even more spectacular when it's quilted:)

peaknits said...

Wow - so bright! I love it and cannot wait to see the quilting finished (but then neither can you:).

Cindy said...

Wow! Beautiful and modern! I know you're going to enjoy having that one around!

Julia said...

Wow! That quilt is beautiful! It looks like it would be VERY hard to do the colors with clashing and you did a fantabulous job!! I love it!
I sent an email to you, if you didn't get it you can let me know and I'll resend it!! Thank you for your comment!!

conner posse said...

love, love, LOVE!!! I could gaze at it all afternoon! :o)

tich said...

Oh, I do like this. It is so pretty. Well done!

Rebekah said...

absolutely gorgeous! I just love the bright colors!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

love love love your paint box quilt. It is so incredibly beautiful.

Des said...

THAT is outstanding!! I love it Trisha!!

bridget said...

Your quilt came out amazing!!! I have been dreaming about making this quilt myself. The magazine pattern doesnt tell you how many assorted colors are needed. The myriad of colors you used is quite an effect, approx how many did you use? Thanks!!!

Trisha said...

Hi Bridget,

I used about 16 or 17 different Kona solids besides the white and the teal. Hope that helps! Good luck with your quilt!

~Trisha

Dolly said...

This is so gorgeous........I looked over your more recent posts, hoping to see a photo of the quilted quilt. Nope !
Is it finished?
I really like it and the afghan you're making too !

bearpaw said...

This is so fabulous! I have been looking for a design that might suit my son for his 21st birthday and this has given me some inspiration!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails