Sunday, June 13, 2010

A New Tradition

 

On Saturday was the Sound to Narrows 5K.  My family walked it last year and had such a great time that we signed up to do it again this year.  My husband and daughter signed up for the run and my son and I signed up to do the walk. 


DSC07684

A few days before the event my sister asked if their family could join us.  Of course!  So her husband and son would run it and she and her daughter would walk it.  They spent the night at our house (we live closer to where the event was held) so we could get out early the next morning.  The cousins were so excited to be together and to ride the bus from where we parked the car to the race.

 

DSC07677 

It is such a fun event and so well attended.  Thousands of people show up to take part in the fun.  They have a race for everyone in the family.  They have the 12K, the 5K run, the 5K walk, the 2K, and a diaper dash that is about 200 yards for the really little kids.  The 5K run started a half hour before the walk so we were able to see our family members who did the run cross the finish line right before we had to run over to start our race.  My husband and daughter ran the whole thing without walking and crossed the finish line in 29 minutes.  So awesome!  It was fun to walk with my sister and a good thing too because my son wanted to run it instead of walk it so he took off (with my permission) and ended up being the first of the walkers to cross the finish line.  He ran the entire 5K!  My sister’s daughter skipped happily along almost the whole way and we had to walk fast (and sometimes jog) to keep up with her.  We were able to walk it in about 45 minutes.  So the goal for next year is to run the 5K with the rest of my family.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Congratulations to you and your family! Events like this are good for you (and the family) and generally do good for someone else too. It's a win for everyone!

Tina said...

You guys look like you had so much fun in the pictures I saw on FB. What a great tradition!

Hirano Family said...

It was SO fun! I love the pic of the ready-to-run feet of the kids. Can't wait to do it again with you guys sometime.

Rebekah said...

what a fun family tradition!

Alexis said...

That sounds like such a fun family event!

peaknits said...

What a cool tradition! And such a cool way to incorporate something healthy into the family - with all of the cousins - too much fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails