Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July Schnibble

The Schnibble for July is one of Carrie’s latest designs.  It is called Joy Luck and it was a no brainer to go with Asian inspired fabrics for this.  The design looks like stacks of paper lanterns and with a name like Joy Luck (have you read the Joy Luck Club?) I knew just what fabric from my stash I was going to use. 

DSC07957

My grandma pointed out these fabric years ago when she was visiting me.  She thought they were very pretty.  So I surprised her with a little wall quilt made from these fabrics and she loved it.  I used all that I had left to make this quilt and I thought about my grandma, who just turned 90, while I sewed.   

DSC07958

As far as the pattern goes, it was tedious.  All those little corners on the sixty lanterns about did me in.  That is until after me commenting to my husband about how I wish there were two or three of me to work on this quilt.  One of me could iron, while the other could trim, and I would sit behind the sewing machine.  Next thing I know my husband is at the ironing board, my son snipping the chain pieced pieces apart, and my daughter was doing the trimming.  Before I knew it all those little lanterns had their little white corners on and I was so grateful!  My son kept saying, “this is so fun”.  I could get used to having a quilting team!!

DSC07956

I think we probably only have a few months left since we started A Year of Schnibbles back in October.  I have been very good about getting at least the top of the quilt done every month except one when I just couldn’t get to it.  I need to get that one finished soon.  It has been fun sewing a Schnibble every month and now I have a few of the tops in the going-to-become-a-baby-quilt pile.  I have about eight friends that are pregnant right now and all except one so far are having boys.  Just about every time I make a Schnibble now I try to keep that in mind because they end up being a great size for a baby quilt.  Make sure to go over to Sherri’s and Sinta’s for the Schnibble Parade after August 1st.  It is so fun to see the same quilt made in so many different fabric combos.

7 comments:

Alexis said...

That is so cute Trisha! And how fun that your family made it together! Hope you are enjoying a great summer- this month has been so busy I can't believe how fast it is going by. I would love to get together again in August though!

Sinta Renee said...

YOur work, as usaual is amazing. I love those fabrics! Your Joy Luck is beautiful! Thanks for saying such nice things about being a part of a Year of Schnibbles!

Jackie said...

These fabrics really work with the pattern. It's amazing how much difference fabric makes. I can't believe you've kept up with one per month, it seems to be a lot to me.

Mel said...

Beautiful - yes those little corners would be tedious!

julieQ said...

Just so pretty! Lots of babies popping out here too...

manos de chicureo said...

I saw your tutorial "Faux Piped..." and then I knew your blog. I would love if you could show me and teach me the block you have in the head of your blog. Is it a japanese tecnique?. Maybe you posted at some point.
Thank you in advance.
Yasmin
www.patchworkmipasion.blogspot.com
www.manosdechicureo@gmail.com

em's scrapbag said...

Another great quilt for your grandma. And you are so right about seeing the same quilt made by different quilters. They all take on their own personality. Kinda like kids in the same family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails