Saturday, July 10, 2010

Yo-yo’s

Last year my husband took my daughter on an overnight camping trip because she didn’t think it was fair that my son always got to be the one to go with him on scouting overnighters.  (my husband was a scout leader through our church for a while)  So she and my husband hiked-in 2 miles to their campsite with everything on their backs.  She loved it!  So this summer he set up camping trips with each of our kids.  My daughter wanted a challenge and picked a place that is 5 miles to hike into.  My son picked a 2 miler for his first hike-in campout with dad. 

I love this because it warms my heart that they are getting bonding time with dad and that I get one on one time with the one that stays home.  The boys left for their campout yesterday and my daughter and I left for the movies.  We saw How to Train Your Dragon at our dollar movie theater and then went out for hamburgers.  After dinner we tried to go to the library but it was closed.  While we waited for our movie to start we had a little book club discussion about Island of the Blue Dolphins.  We both just read it and loved it.  It was so fun talking about it together.  We need to pick our next book (that’s why we were headed to the library) so if you have any suggestions, we would love some ideas! 

We ended up coming home and braving the heat (we don’t have air conditioning).  My daughter has been admiring my hexagon project so I suggested she make yo-yo’s.  I have a yo-yo maker and they are easy to do.  She was really excited so we set up a table on our back deck where it was cooler and worked on our projects.  She got the hang of it right away and we enjoyed stitching away while sipping raspberry lemonade, singing along to Taylor Swift songs, and chatting.

DSC07869

DSC07870

She got inspired by her yo-yo’s and started designing a little on graph paper.  It was so fun to see her idea put on paper so I could see her vision.  She knows exactly what she is making and who she is giving it to. 

DSC07872

When it got dark we moved our table inside and watched a movie while we continued to stitch.  I can’t wait to see her project come to life.  I love seeing her creativity.  I love the young woman she is turning out to be and I am so honored to be her mother.

15 comments:

JoyceM said...

Two book suggestions: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Des said...

you're living my dream. My daughter wants nothing to do with sewing of any kind. I have begged, pleaded and bribed. to no avail. BUT, I'm pretty sure she's going to turn out JUST like me, so i can worry about that instead.

you are the coolest mom to me!!
We loved Island of the Blue Dolphine!! Goose Girl and Princess Academy by Shannon Hales, we loved. Just finished the Mysterious Benedict Society. Very fun. My daughter loves series.

scraphappy said...

What a nice way to spend an evening with your daughter. I'm always amazed at how my own children really shine when given one on one time. Those yo-yos are going to be so cute.

bloominworkshop said...

I love this! I remember reading Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was a kid, but now I have no idea what it was about. Didn't it have a dog in the story?

Suzanne said...

It's wonderful to have one-on-one time. Even more wonderful to document it with photos. Just as Des said, I don't know that I could get my boys to sit and craft with me but I keep hoping and praying. In the meantime, they happily cuddle under my quilt creations so that's a step in the right direction.

Tina said...

What a fun evening Trish. I loved that movie! And I love the project that your little Miss is working on. How fun! I hope she can keep it up and see it all the way through. My little Miss and I went to the beach tonight to read together and find a couple geocaches and drop off the geocoin and travel bug J and I picked up in Canada. Super fun!

Alexis said...

How fun! Sounds like a perfect weekend. Her project looks great!

Jackie said...

It sounds like a wonderfully special weekend for all! I have sons and I loved my special times with them when they were younger. I enjoy it now that they're 20 and 30 too.

iSew said...

Sounds like a really great time for both of you!

Rebekah said...

Aww, what a fun weekend you two had together. That is so cute that she is so into her yo-yo quilt. I love the heart design!

MichelleB said...

Sounds like a great day! I love spending time with my girls (and my boy). It's been awhile (and I can't remember how old your daughter is), but I know that we always enjoyed books by Eva Ibbotson, Holes is one our very favorites, Patricia C. Wrede has a series called the Enchanted Forest (these were the first books that we listened to on tape - we were hooked on books on tape after that), of course there's Cornelia Funke, and so many others. I could go on and on. lol

em's scrapbag said...

Sounds like some great girl time. I love watching my children create and develope their talents. Very rewarding to watch them grow. You have a beautiful, talented daughter.

Darlene B said...

What wonderful bonding times with your children! I've been blessed with two daughters, and I know what you mean about watching them grow into lovely young women. Mine are 21 and 23, so they are truly adults now, and I am so proud of who they are!

We Six Nasons said...

I just love this post! You and your daughter are having such a wonderful time together in exactly the same way that I hope to spend time with mine. She has no interest in sewing, but we could definitely read the same book and discuss it. Lovely of you to share.

Dayquilt said...

My favorite books were Rebecca's War and Carry On Mr. Bowditch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails