Friday, August 6, 2010

9 patches

I joined a 9 patch swap over at Julie’s blog, JulieKQuilts

9patch

We could choose to swap 6” blocks, 3” blocks, or both.  I decided to go with the 3” blocks.  The fabric requirement is Civil War Reproduction fabric, which I have none.  Well, besides my Dear Jane fabric which is quarantined and only to be used for that quilt.  So I had to go fabric shopping.  I know, poor me.  I went straight to the Civil War Repro section and after much consideration I decided to go with these two beauties.  A blue paisley and a coordinating dark red.  I think my 9 patches will be very pretty.    

DSC08012

I am going to use a fun and fast method for making my 9 patches.  I did a tutorial on this method a couple years ago here on my blog.  I am going to repost that tutorial so you can try it too! 

 

Originally posted May 30, 2008

I learned a different way of making nine patches from my friend, Nan, while I was at my retreat. It is a really fun way and I think this is how I will be doing them from now on. They seem to be more accurate and maybe even faster!

Ok, so start with two 4 1/2" squares. One light and one dark. (you will be making two nine patch blocks at the same time)

Put them right sides together and stitch a 1/4" seam on opposite sides of the squares. (no, I don't usually sew with bright orange thread. I just used it so you could see the stitches)


Now your going to cut your square into three equal pieces. Each piece should measure 1 1/2". (make sure your cuts are parallel with your stitches)

Take the two sides that are sewn and press the seams towards the dark fabric. Then lay your strips out like this.

Now sew your third strip to the other two. Make sure you are sewing a light, dark, light block and a dark, light, dark block.

This is what your two blocks should look like so far. Right now you have two rail fence blocks but we are going to keep going so we can have two nine patches.

Put your blocks right sides together making sure the strips are going the same way. Here is where the pay off comes for pressing your seams towards the dark fabric. You can fit those seams together like a puzzle. Now stitch your 1/4" seam on opposite sides of the block.

Just like before, you are going to cut your block in three equal parts,1 1/2" each.

Press your seams. Now your ready for the last step. Aren't you excited!

Sew that last strip onto your block with a 1/4" seam. Then press.

Ta-Da!! Two cute little nine patches that will measure 3 1/2". (3" finished)


Here's a view of the back of the blocks.


This is a great way to use up your scrap fabric. There are so many cute quilt designs you can make with nine patches. And you can use this method for any size nine patch you like. Let me know if you try this method and what you think of it.

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

That was a fantastic tutorial! I'm so glad you reposted it.

em's scrapbag said...

Thanks for a repeat of the tutorial. Sounds like a great method. Have fun with your swap.

Karen said...

This tutorial looks very interesting and I'll try it soon. Thanks for posting it!

Alexis said...

I like the fabric you picked out- and that is a great method for 9 patches, too. Thanks for reposting your tutorial!

iSew said...

Just one question?
How many swaps are you a part of?

wow

julieQ said...

What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing....just great. Hey...your nine patches are here! And more gorgeous than anything!!

Chookyblue...... said...

i'm in the nine patch too but the 6inch blocks......
might have a go at your tutorial too..........

Mel said...

WHO KNEW!!??? thanks for sharing!

cookie said...

very interesting. sure will give this one a try.

D-Bee Creations said...

I know that this may be a silly question but....what is the formula for sizes other than 3.5"? I know that as soon as I read it....it will be so obvious, however at this moment it isn't coming to me...lol

D-Bee Creations said...

this looks really cool however I have a question that may be silly. I know that it will be obvious once I read it however right now, my mind is blanking...lol What is the formula for blocks other than 3.5" to cut the initial blocks?

Gail Hand said...

Trisha....Just shared your nine patch tutorial on my blog. This looks so much more fun and definitely less distortion to make than sewing long strips that get wonky. You're a doll for sharing. www.hquilter.blogspot.com.
Gail

Rosa said...

I try your tutorial and go very well.Thanks you so much!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails