Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Year in Review – Schnibble Style

A year ago Sherri and Sinta announced that they were starting A Year of Schnibbles. It was going to be a fun quilt-a-long of sorts where each month they would reveal a Schnibble pattern, designed by the very talented Carrie Nelson, that we were all going to make. Along the way their were lots chances to win prizes for finishing your quilts in the month’s time and a parade of all the quilts that were made that month.



I thought it would be fun to show you how my year went…



This first quilt is from the pattern Winter White and I made it in September of last year. One rule I gave myself was that I was going to try and have the quilts totally finished each month and that includes quilting and binding. I did really good with that…for a while.




October’s quilt pattern was Cindy Lou Who and I went patriotic on this one.




November’s quilt pattern was Picnic. I loved making the variety of baskets this pattern called for.






For December they went easy on us since they knew we were probably busy with last minute Christmas gifts so all we had to do was make a Tuffet, which is a Schnibbles pattern of pincushions. I ended up giving this one to my sister, Tina, for Christmas.




For January I switched things up a bit and made Madeline bigger and changed the orientation of the blocks. I made this one to hang above the couch in our family room. This is also the where I broke my “have the quilt totally done” rule.


DSC07090



February’s quilt was Sunday’s Best and was lots of fun to make. I love the little bow ties. This one is currently still a top but will soon be finished into a quilt for my friend that is having a baby boy.





April’s quilt pattern is called Tagalong and I actually didn’t finish the top for this one until last month. So out of the whole year I missed one month’s deadline and this was it.






For May the pattern was Two Bits and I made a table runner out of it. It was all left over Roman Holiday fabric from a previous project. I made it from start to finish at my Memorial Day retreat.








June’s pattern was State Fair and I went all out girly for this one. I had so much fun shopping out of my stash for a huge variety of fabrics for this one. I finished the top in June but got it all quilted and bound in time for my friend, Ginny’s, baby shower.


DSC08337



July was a newly released pattern called Joy Luck. I went with some Asian fabric because the pattern looks like Chinese lanterns.


DSC07957



For August we got to pick between two different patterns and I picked Short Story. I love these double hourglass blocks and have wanted to make a quilt in that pattern for a long time. I made it nice and big so I can snuggle under it. I’ve got to hurry and finish this one if there is going to be any snuggling.






As I look back on my year of Schnibbles I am pleased with the fact that just about every quilt was made from my stash. One of them I did have to buy the perfect binding fabric for it and another was made from a charm pack and I had to buy two coordinating prints so I would have enough fabric to make the quilt. Other than that, this was a great stash busting year thanks to being a part of A Year of Schnibbles.



Sherri and Sinta have cooked up another year of fun but this time it is called Le Petite – A Year of Small Projects. I would love to do this again but I have to opt out this year because I was recently asked to make quilt samples for a friend that owns an online quilt shop and is a vendor at quilt shows and festivals. I didn’t even have to think about it. Get paid to quilt? Umm..yes please! So that should keep me busy and I want to leave time for my long list of UFOs, WIPs, etc.



Thanks for visiting me and my parade of Schnibbles!

17 comments:

Sinta Renee said...

Your show of Schnibbles is amazing! They all look so beautiful, one after the other!!! Fun to look back and see where it all started and the creations through the year! You are so talented! Thanks for being in a Year of Schnibbles... I am so excited for your new quilt adventure- making samples is going to be SO much fun!!!! Congratulations:)

Cindy said...

Your Schnibbles all look great! I especially love how you did Roundabout. It was a fun project, wasn't it?

Jacque said...

wow.... thanks so much for sharing and congrat's on the upcoming "paying" job.

Chookyblue...... said...

all your schnibbles look wonderful.........

traceyjay said...

this is awesome... I love them all lined up! (I've yet to complete my first!). ;)

peggy said...

I absolutely love your quilts. I consider myself to be a prolific quilter, but to set myself up to finish a quilt/month for an entire year would be almost an impossibility. I probably make that many, however, no one is watching over me like they were you. Great job and congratulations.

Jackie said...

What a lovely parade! The table runner is one of my favorites (among others). Congratulations on getting one done per month - it is quite the accomplishment!

Béa said...

Beautiful parade, I love them all but especially your State Fair & Roundabout.Hugs from France.

RETRO-fabulous said...

Beautiful work!! I've got to get the Schnibbles books after seeing your quilts.

Sherri said...

Terrific parade...one of my Schnibbles is at the quilter now...I thought it was finished, but found it the other day in my "to be quilted" pile!

Rebekah said...

what an awesome challenge! You've made a ton of gorgeous quilts that all look so different and so pretty!

I think the rainbow one is my favorite (surprise, surprise)

Darlene said...

Beautiful parade of Schnibbles. Way to go - take a bow.

Kim said...

I love all the different ways you changed your Schnibbles quilts, using different fabrics, making them in a slightly different configuration, etc. Your choices of colors are particularly lovely!

Candace said...

They are all beautiful. Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishment.

julieQ said...

I just love each one of your Schnibbles! Are all the patterns in one book?? Just love all these quilts!

Anonymous said...

this is very good for you, ybg :)

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

So many gorgeous quilts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails