Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sewing Scraps

Jodi over at Pleasant Home is having a scrappy sew along and I am participating.  This is huge for me because as much as I love the look of a scrappy quilt, I have yet to have made one.  Yeah, I dig into my scraps now and then and include a piece or two in a quilt but I have never made a pure scrap quilt.  I haven’t made one yet because I have been overwhelmed with how much more work I thought it would be, but it isn’t!  (if it is then I am not noticing because I am having so much fun) 

First she talked about organizing your scraps.  Mine have been sorted by color for a long time but more recently have been put in the drawers of my sewing center for easier access.  (even though until there hasn’t been much accessing) 

IMG_0440

IMG_0441

Now that I am using them, I am loving having them right there.  I did what Jodi said to do which was to sort through your scraps and pull out the squares that could start as your centers and then sort out some bigger pieces and strips.  I actually started in the reds (my favorite color) thinking I would make a red and blue quilt but when I saw the deep burgundy colors I thought they would be beautiful paired with pink.  So I pulled out all the burgundy scraps from the red drawer and then started pulling pinks that looked pretty with them. 

IMG_0436

I love that you just pair things up and sew.  You don’t have to measure or be precise.  You don’t have to make sure you sew the next piece on a certain side like a log cabin you just put it where it will fit.  It is so fun! 

I think the most exciting thing for me is that even though I don’t like most of my scraps, I love these pink blocks I made.  It is like I gave my scraps a makeover.  The blocks are all different sizes and I plan on bordering them all to the same size and sewing them together.  I will probably need to make a few more but than I think this will make a cute baby quilt.  I am thinking about hitting the blue scraps next!

13 comments:

Tina said...

Lookin good! Glad you're having fun with it!

scraphappy said...

What great pink blocks. Scraps are so fun to play with. Your blocks are going to make a great quilt.

Brenda said...

Pretty squares. I love the scrap quilt look but don't have scraps 9 or very many). May need to go buy some fabric.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I'm so with you. Putting fabric you don't like with some you do like makes everything feel fresh. Love your scrap thoughts.

Jackie said...

I love your pink blocks too! So far I'm like you, I've collected my scraps but not used them. I've been cutting the smaller pieces into uniform sizes (strips and squares). I wonder if I should stop doing that?

Tine said...

those pink blocks are so pretty! and...what a clever way you hvae your scraps stored!! i love that!

Ginger Patches said...

Oh your drawers are so organized and pretty!! I am doing this sew along also...isn't it fun? Good job on your blocks so far :)

em's scrapbag said...

Sewing with scraps is a blast. You blocks are great and will make a beautiful quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love those photos of your scrappy drawers!

Alexis said...

Those blocks are sooo cute! Glad you are having fun making a scrap quilt- whoohoo!

Pat said...

I'm envious of your wonderful scrap drawers - mine are all in plastic bins that have to be stacked/unstacked to get at the fabric. Aren't scrap quilts fun? I LOVE the color play with simple scrap quilts - your blue and red squares are gorgeous. Thanks for the link to Pleasant Home!

Vicki said...

Can you come stay a week at my place? I love all the things you do.

Hugs,
Vicki R
sunraesban@yahoo.com

Petit Design Co. said...

oooh, I like those pink blocks

Related Posts with Thumbnails