Friday, January 28, 2011

More Blocks

Here are the rest of the blocks for the Bloomin’ Pinwheels pattern I am testing for Anita

IMG_1479

 

IMG_1478

 

IMG_1477

 

IMG_1475

 

IMG_1474

 

IMG_1473

 

I don’t often work with 12” blocks.  I prefer to make quilts with smaller blocks but this has been fun and bigger blocks make a bigger quilt top much faster.  There are definitely advantages.

 

I was so pleased when I put all the blocks on the design wall with how nice they all look together.  I was kind of wondering how that would go as I pulled the fabrics from my stash for each block. 

IMG_1481

Next came the center which is a dresden plate block.  In all the years I have been a quilter I have never made a dresden plate.  That’s one of the things that keeps my interest in quilting.  There is always something new to try and I love to stretch myself. 

IMG_1488

It ended up being a most of the day project but I just enjoyed the process.

IMG_1490

I took my time and hand appliqued it onto my background square of Kona White.  I knew if I rushed things and sewed it down by machine I would regret it. 

IMG_1494

I appliqued the circle by hand too and I am very pleased with the result (although the circle was a lot trickier than I thought it would be and didn’t turn out perfect).  I love how it looks up on the design wall surrounded by the blocks. 

IMG_1492

I got a fun surprise in the mail.  A  Moda Bella solids color card!   I won it playing Bingo over at The Quilt Shoppe blog before Christmas.  I am a Kona girl but I am excited to try Bella solids and now I can pick just the right color to order. 

IMG_1495

I took the kids to the dollar movies today. (they had the day off school, yay!)   We saw a 3D movie and now I am feeling a little nauseas.  I know it didn’t have anything to do with the whole box of Red Vines that I ate.  heehee

11 comments:

Cheri said...

Lovely quilt. Good work. Red vines...yum!

Sinta Renee said...

I love all the different blocks! The center Dresden is just beautiful! That is a beautiful quilt-wow!

Sharon said...

WOW! Gorgeous blocks! This will be a stunning quilt when you have it put together.

Suzanne said...

The dresden really pulls it all together. Yay!

Alexis said...

I love seeing all the details in your blocks, and how they came together so beautifully with the Dresden Plate! So fun!

Jackie said...

The quilt looks great! The dresden plate pulls all the colors together.

traceyjay said...

gorgeous work on the quilt! That Dresden is the perfect center piece. :)

Re: the solids --

I like the Bella solids a lot more than the Kona... though there color options aren't quite as perfect yet... but they're working on adding colors! To me, the fabrics are a much higher quality.

Tina said...

Love the blocks. Wasn't the dresden plate block so fun to make?! Cool color combination you have going.

julieQ said...

Such gorgeous blocks!! I really like how you paired the Dresden plate with the blocks surrounding it...so pretty.

em's scrapbag said...

This is wonderful. I love all the different blocks especially the dresden plate.
Also the fabric for the baby quilt are going to be perfect.

flisa said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the Dresden plate! I must try this! Wish you a nice week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails