Thursday, April 21, 2011

Washington D.C.

We took a trip to our nation’s capitol for Spring Break this year.  My husband and I spent three days there the first year we were married.  We were so excited to take our kids and spend more time exploring than we did 14 years ago.  We unknowingly planned our trip to Washington D.C. during the Cherry Blossom Festival.  Although we didn’t take part in any of the festivities, we did enjoy the beautiful cherry trees in bloom.

DSCN0205

United States Capitol

 

At 12 and 10 years old my kids are the perfect age for a trip through history.  They loved every minute of it as much as we did.  We took some time to learn ahead of time about the places we were going to see.  I think that made everything even more exciting for them. 

DSCN0234

Washington Monument

 

My kids favorite was the Lincoln Memorial.  

DSCN0049

It is awesome how big this statue is.

DSCN0053 

The Lincoln Memorial

 

We learned some funny things too.  My son was especially excited to see the Jefferson Memorial because he thought it was hilarious that it is nicknamed the Jefferson muffin.

DSCN0163 

Jefferson Memorial

 

We toured the Supreme Court building and sat in the courtroom learning about how everything works and interesting facts.  Like that on the floor above the court room there is a basketball court in what used to be a storage area.  So I guess the supreme court isn’t the highest court in the land.  (yep, stole that joke from our tour guide) 

DSCN0194

The Supreme Court

 

We spent a day at Arlington Cemetery.  It was emotional for me.  You can’t visit and not feel sad and proud all at the same time for those who have fought to keep us free.

DSCN0109

Arlington Cemetery

 

We watched the changing of the guards.  It is done with such ceremony and respect.  Everyone is completely silent as they watch.  It was very moving.

DSCN0117

The changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

 

 

You recognize this right?  Did you realize that it is that big?  That was most surprising to me.

DSCN0130

Iwo Jima Memorial

 

We got to tour the White House.  You get to see a number of rooms and they were cool, but I was hoping for more.  Especially because they stuck me in a holding pen for almost an hour because one of the numbers in my birth date was wrong on their paper.  Yeah, it is serious stuff.  My kids like it but were disappointed they didn’t get to see the Obama’s dog.  haha    But overall it was cool that we got to be in the White House.

DSCN0155

The White House

 

We were excited to go see the temple and they have a beautiful Visitor Center there that we spent some time in. 

DSCN0216

Washington D.C. LDS Temple

 

We spent a lot of time at the different Smithsonian museums.  At the Natural History Museum was this creative display of yarn, knit or crocheted to look like coral.

DSCN0180

It was massive and very cool.  I laughed when a dad was taking pictures of his kids in front of it and after he took  the picture he walked closer and realized it wasn’t coral at all.  He was very disappointed that it wasn’t real coral.  haha

DSCN0186

Someone said it would be touring around the country so maybe you will get to see it at a place near you!

 

We also toured the Capitol building,  saw money made at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, got really good at using the metro, visited the various war memorials, did some geocaching, swam at our hotel pool, and enjoyed being together as a family.  It was a wonderful trip.  If you have never been, I highly recommend it!  If you have been hopefully these pictures brought back some great memories for you.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

We did Washington DC two years ago with our kids. Your pictures evoked great memories for me of our trip. We only recently discovered geocaching but we are hooked now. Those are some of our favorite parts of any visit now.

Jayne said...

Great vacation pics! I've only been to DC once and it was the weekend prior to the Cherry Blossom Festival. So pretty! That walk around the basin to the Jefferson Memorial was breathtaking. My trip was as a chaperone on our youngest's 8th grade trip to DC. We had 2 busloads of kids and chaperones for a 4-day weekend to our nation's capital. We did not get to see the Supreme Court or go into the White House. What I most enjoyed - feeling both sad and proud, like you said - was the Vietnam Wall, the Korean War Memorial, and the WWII Memorial. Just like Arlington Cemetery, these war memorials give visitors many moments of thoughtful introspection.

Татьяна said...

Как красиво!!!Я тоже бы хотела там побывать!

LynCC said...

Whoa - That "coral" is pretty neat!

Jackie said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I'd love to go back again, I was a kid when I went and really wasn't interested. I would love to go to the White House.

manos de chicureo said...

Thanks. It brought back many fond memories. My honeymoon was in place, New York and Punta Cana. Thanks
Yasmin

manos de chicureo said...

Thanks. It brought back many fond memories. My honeymoon was in place, New York and Punta Cana. Thanks
Yasmin

Anita said...

What a fabulous trip! I haven't been to D.C. as an adult and my hubby and I have talked about going sometime. I'd love to see some of the Smithsonian! He says his dad watched the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima during the war.

julieQ said...

WE too had a Washington trip, when our son was a young teen...I think all of us will never forget how historic and wonderful our capitol really is. Glad you had fun!!

Heather said...

Oh your pictures made me so homesick! My dad lives literally 5 mins. down Route 50 from Iwo Jima. We haven't been back in a little over 5 years. Just easier for my dad to come out here than to fly all 5 of us back there. I wish I could have stowed away in your suitcase and gone with you!

Danielle said...

Looks like a wonderful time! I am hoping to get there with my kids soon, as well! Very inspiring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails