Monday, October 24, 2011

Down but not out

I have a sewing room now!  The down side is I can’t do any sewing in it yet.  Let me back up a month and tell you what is going on.  We sold our house and partway through packing I hurt my already bad back much worse.  It was the most excruciating pain I have ever been in and I have had two babies!  I think it didn’t help that it lasted a whole lot longer than both my labors combined.  My very sweet husband worked from home and took care of me, my wonderful friends from church stepped in and brought dinners for my family and helped pack my house.  They were amazing! 

 

We are now moved into my parent’s house with them while we are having a house built.   My very generous mom cleared space for me to have a sewing area.  She has these great Ikea storage cabinets and is letting me use half of them to store most of my quilting supplies and fabric. 

IMG_2356

It is still a bit messy because I am still recovering and can’t get in there to organize or do any quilting.  It is killing me not to be able to spend hours in there ever day creating.

IMG_2357

I have been doing some knitting while I lay in my back chair so that helps me pass the time and I am enjoying it.  And it helps to have all ten seasons of Friends on DVD.  

 

I have an appointment to go see an acupuncturist, one of the few things I haven’t tried these last ten years dealing with my back.  I also have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon so I can hopefully get an MRI and see if anything has changed and if I am finally open to talking about surgery and if it would even help. 

 

In the meantime I am so happy my parents moved up here to Washington and that we have this time with them.  We are having a lot of fun with them and I am so happy for my kids to have this time with them too. 

17 comments:

Stanton Blog said...

Glad you are settled in with your parents. Sorry you are still in so much pain. I hope your appointments give you some alternatives to ease the pain. Also sorry that you aren't able to sew now that you have a place to do it. I will keep you in my prayers for a solution. Take care and let me know when you are up and around and maybe we can get together for lunch when I am up that way for a massage.

alibobbles said...

sorry to hear that you are a fellow sufferer,. just be careful with the acupuncturist as some practice it from a religious base rather than a medical one.

a really good place for info on spine stuff (I've had three lumbar ops) is http://www.spinepatientsociety.org/forum/forum.php

hope you are feeling better soon

alison x

Chookyblue...... said...

hope the back improves so you can sew again........lucky for your great friends......hopefully you can get and MRI and see whats wrong........

LynCC said...

::wincing:: Ewww - back pain is THE WORST. It keeps you from doing anything and takes FOREVER to heal. Sorry you're going through that. :( What a cool mom, though! - letting you move in *and* making sewing space for you. :)

Jodi said...

Awww, that's so sweet!!! Bad about your back, but wonderful about your mom and dad and you're able to live with them comfortably, in more ways than one! I hope your back issues get resolved and you're on your way to being pain-free!

Anita said...

Ouch! I hope you find a treatment that will relieve your back pain. But on the plus side, I'm glad you have this wonderful time with your family! I bet you will get all your socks knit. :) I'm still stalled on July... I think.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear about your back troubles! You are lucky to be with your parents for the time being. Rest, rest, rest!

Knitting is a great thing to do while you're "down". I know how you must be missing the sewing but hopefully soon, you'll be back at it.

God bless!

Karen

Nanette Merrill said...

I can't believe you moved! You had a cute home but it will be so nice for you when you do get your home built. I am happy your parents are there. so nice and such a good room for a temp. sewing room. Sorry about the back! That is horrible. Well wishes your way.

Lou said...

good luck on the back...adn thank god for knitting, huh?

Lynne said...

I feel for you, I have had two back surgeries. I can still sew, but not for extended periods at a machine, so my hand sewing & quilting is way better than it used to be! Good luck with your recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have been following your blog and tried to send an email but it came back. Anyway I am looking for a cute scripture bag to make for my 8 year old granddaughter. Did you have one on your blog at one time? I saw one and now I can't remember where it was. Please help me out if you can I would appreciate it very much.
Diane in Colorado

Anonymous said...

Hi, its me again. I forgot to give you my email to contact me. sewingquilting@gmail.com. Hope to hear back from you. Thanks. Diane in Colorado

jacquie said...

Hey there...I'm way behind on blog reading...I hope this back stuff is over for you and the house is coming along. Just wanted to say a quick HI!

Michelle said...

Pain that can compete with childbirth? Ouch! I hope you're feeling much better soon and can enjoy your new sewing room.

Darlene B said...

How are you doing? It's been a long time since you've posted....I hope you are not still suffering with severe back pain. Hope you're better soon and get back to quilting!

Chookyblue...... said...

hey hope things are going well for you.........maybe there is a new house???

doodlebugmom said...

So nice you can stay at your parents for a while. I issues with my spine/neck and I swear by acupuncture. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails